Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with 92mm Stowaway

First light with my Stowaway this evening. There has been a lots of clouds in London recently unfortunately so it’s taken a while to get an opportunity.

But in summary I love it! I started with my Ethos 21mm and had a lovely view of M42. Great sharp stars across the whole fov and nice nebulosity despite being in 18.3 SQM skies in my London back garden. M45 was also great with the Ethos.

I then ramped the magnification up with my Pentax 5xw to look at the trapezium. I was very pleased to see E star and I think I got hints of F as well. Not bad considering it’s only 92mm.

Finally I switched to my night vision monoculars and my panoptic 41mm for some nebulae viewing. I got lovely views of the horsehead, rosette, California, flaming star, seagull, jellyfish and monkey head  nebulae. Phone pics attached as well as a photo of the scope in action. I was really pleased to get a good session in (and also some ok phone photos that are getting closer in quality to those I take at a dark site). Shows it’s still possible to a good nebulae observing even in London (albeit with the considerable help of NV).

I think this scope is a fantastic travel scope. Quality of views are excellent and the feathertouch focuser is silky smooth.

A very nice first light! 

5FDBF8EA-CADE-4829-9B82-5074C689AE55.jpeg

4B9BECB3-434F-47E2-AFB8-7DCA5AE3C11B.jpeg

8F4D81B4-CF56-4D96-AE02-4E2D3CC8FB12.jpeg

92AEB485-5323-49E1-A01F-E41950EDD752.jpeg

0611D5A2-83FD-4DE0-804F-920ECD3123C0.jpeg

A46046A2-9B95-4A6B-AE34-F3978765CAD9.jpeg

90D1A930-0CCC-4F0B-AE20-87BCC436E81F.jpeg

96F70927-3CAF-475E-9E5C-348151249A1A.jpeg

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great report Gavin- this scope sounds like a winner! Question- with the NV and the 41 Pan what TFOV does it give?

Thanks Gerry. Given the low sqm of my home garden (18.3) I was getting some really nice views last night. The rosette and California nebulae really are fantastic DSOs to look at!  I think the harder gen3 tube combined with the 5nm Ha chroma filter is making a significant difference compared with the photonis. It’s so nice to have good sessions at home - my visits to dark sites do spoil me sometimes...

The NV monocular reduces the field of view of any eyepiece to 40 degrees, so for this scope the 41 pan gives 2.7 degrees with the 55mm plossl giving 3.6 degrees.

The 55mm plossl gives brighter slightly more detailed nebulae views at the eyepiece but the 41 pan has better control of the stars at the edge of the fov so is better imo for taking phone images through.

34 minutes ago, disciplus55 said:

GavStar,

Where can we find more information about the NV you use ? I read from French forums that it is impossible to source for us. Yet, I would be interested if there is only a slight chance to try one too.

Hi,

I have read that it’s illegal to even possess Gen 3 night vision monoculars in France (unlike the UK). But photonis NV tubes  are Gen 2 so May be ok??

I’d suggest looking at www.actinblack.com and www.nighttec.net since these both supply the photonis and harder digital nightvision monoculars I use.

Also I’d suggest searching on night vision on this forum and you will find lots of info posted by Alanjgreen and myself.

Finally (and probably the best option) is to contact Joko on cloudynights since he is French and uses night vision monoculars in France so will I think be best to guide you.

Archived