NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Xmas astro presents...

emadmoussa

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, wimvb said:

Lovely. But you should have given them a dual rig.

Haha...reminds me of the show "Big Bang Theory" where everything starts out simple and the guys over engineer the beegesus out of it LOL! ?

"Ok ...we can put a SynScan on the motors running off a 17mah power tank and guide with a QHY and a 50mm guide scope......"

"Motors! what motors ....we'll need at least 2lbs of torque....I think I have some motors in my scalextrix cars we could use...."

"What about dew control?"

"You're right...we'll need another power tank and dew straps"

"Upgrade the diagonal?"

"Yes, this is going to take more assessment than we thought....you get on to First Light Optics, and I'll tap Bern's shoulder at Modern Astronomy for the QHY and Altair for a guide scope"

"Meet back her at 7pm....with pizza"

"Make it 7:30...my Mother needs the Vespa to go into town"

LOLOLOL!

Actually, that's the conversation his girls probably had the second his back was turned ?

David

7 minutes ago, Jojo204 said:

I got this a few days prior but I guess it counts as a Christmas gift ?‍♂️

Consider it a gift of the Saturnalia festive season! ? ....although these gifts were supposed to be "gag gifts" .....and those are just fighting words with such a fine scope as you've got there LOL!

Saturnalia ran from around mid December to the 25th, the solstice in Roman times.

This is considered the reason Christians celebrate Christ's birthday on the 25th - the Christian Romans had a hard time getting all to give up their many gods, Saturnalia was proving particularly stubborn, so they co-opted the Saturnalia festive period for their own ?

Good politics there, wonder what Anthony Scaramucci would make of it LOL!

Cool scope!

David

I forgot one of my favourite gifts!

An astro notebook!

y4mh6IFBlnMH5ilSQqQYtGiKjemL-BwkA17Nscp5

The number of times I needed quick reference for long/lat details (Kelling/Home/Lucksall) or base exposure times for flats etc. and couldn't get to a pc - problem solved.

The power of pen and paper lives on ?

David

E.E. Barnard’s “A Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way” is the highlight of my Astro gifts. Also got red light head torch. No more holding the torch in my mouth. Some secondary collimation screws to save battlies with Allen keys plus a new eye patch. DE6BCFE3-A993-4F67-8E00-F52EAE0418C1.thumb.jpeg.19693e09ef42e95879e5daab58beecbd.jpeg

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

E.E. Barnard’s “A Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way” is the highlight of my Astro gifts. Also got red light head torch. No more holding the torch in my mouth. Some secondary collimation screws to save battlies with Allen keys plus a new eye patch. 

The eye patch is fantastic (amongst all the other great stuff you received!)

I love walking around Kelling Heath with mine on in the darkening evening with people looking at me like a loon .....that is until I walk out of the toilet block with it flipped up and safely navigating my way back to the scope - listening to them walk into bushes and hit their shins on those conveniently placed wooden road crossing barriers LOL!

BTW - why do pirates where them? So in a fight that goes below decks they can flip it up and see who their murdering of course ?

Oh, and why are Pirates called Pirates?........because they "aaaaaaRRRRR" LOLOLOL!

David

Was a good boy this year, got given a space themed desk mat by my daughter and a few other astro gifts from other family members. Trying out the Lidl binoculars too - if I get on with them I might invest in some bigger ones.

IMG_3155.JPG.3f0ce13922f78e61b786fe6eed655a20.JPG

The Stars book looks very interesting and well put together (apparently there are colouring sheets in the back too for all the cloudy nights) ?

The USB spaceman light was my fav gift from last year and still gets daily use.

IMG_3157.JPG.f4f7816a48d789159897960895c8477e.JPG

No longer (even) an odd "Tenner" from (now RIP) Godparent Reli. lol
I am "philosophical". A tad *miffed* that I didn't even get a CARD from
my neigbour? (I helped erect / finance a FENCE, look after Cats etc.) ☹️

Recently I have totally changed my "philosopy of life". I celebrate a
mere humorous / polite interchange with "strangers" on the Bus...
Totally impressed by folks who GIVE (back) without expectation etc. ?

No "holy roller / social justice warrior". Getting too OLD for activism
but hoping to find SOME way I can "give back" to the appreciative?

Archived