NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Local members wanted

Im begginer, at the moment i ordered Binoculars Celestron cometron 7x50 sky map and Led light. Before i purchase my first telescope i need meet somebody and check a few different telescopes(Newton,refractor, apo, etc.)to make a choise. Witch one will fit for me for perfect start. And have some advaice. ( sorry for grammatic faults English is not my first language) 

27 minutes ago, Adam Barnsley said:

My first choice was refractor but some People  told me Newton  Will be better so im a bit confused. What is yours opinion?Please share your ideas. Thanks 

Hi Adam, it depends on what you want to view and what your expectations are.

1) A long-tube refractor will be good for planets, Moon, double stars, clusters and bright DSO's (deep sky objects), an APO can be expensive and I suggest a achromatic refractor to start.

2) With a reflector you get more bang for your buck, ie more light gathering potential=more DSO's and faint objects to see.

I have to admit, I prefer a refractor as for me (being partially disabled) it is easier to move around and I get much pleasure from using it. 

1 minute ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Adam, it depends on what you want to view and what your expectations are.

1) A long-tube refractor will be good for planets, Moon, double stars, clusters and bright DSO's (deep sky objects), an APO can be expensive and I suggest a achromatic refractor to start.

2) With a reflector you get more bang for your buck, ie more light=more DSO's and faint objects to see.

I have to admit, I prefer a refractor as for me (being partially disabled) it is easier to move around and I get much pleasure from using it. 

My first choice are planets and moon.this objects are more easy to find on the sky. Have i right?  Ok try to find achro. Can u recommend any good ?  

Yes, indeed the objects you mention are easier to find, both in a refractor and a reflector, but after the Moon and the planets you will certainly want to explore the sky for more objects.  As for recommendations I would go for something like this (the scope and the mount are separate):

Scope: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102l-1000-refractor-ota.html

Mount: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

3 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Yes, indeed the objects you mention are easier to find, both in a refractor and a reflector, but after the Moon and the planets you will certainly want to explore the sky for more objects.  As for recommendations I would go for something like this (the scope and the mount are separate):

Scope: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102l-1000-refractor-ota.html

Mount: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

Any nessesery   upgrade for this stuff. (filters etc.)? 

14 hours ago, Adam Barnsley said:

Any nessesery   upgrade for this stuff. (filters etc.)? 

Hi Adam, the telescope only comes with one 26mm Plossl (38x magnification), which is a good low power ep.  Don't worry about filters yet but you may want to consider some extra eyepieces, particularly in the mid to high power range, the 15mm (66x mag) and the 8mm (125x mag) would be good starters, the best  eyepieces on the market as far as I am concerned are the BST StarGuiders found here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

Good luck with your choices!

21 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Alan, the telescope already comes with a 90º diagonal and everything else you need to start. 

...yes, and a mirrored type.  Mirrors scatter light, and mirrored diagonals can also arrive requiring collimation.  I read recently of an individually-purchased base-model GSO requiring same; thankfully the user was able to correct it.  Star-prism diagonals exhibit neither detriment.  Mirrored diagonals are recommended for achromats of shorter focal-lengths; f/5 in particular, and with an f/6.5 going either way.  Anything longer, a prism is recommended, hence my suggestion.

• 2 months later...

Speak to Adam at Rother Valler Optics if you can get to the shop. Not far from Barnsley and very knowledgeable. He’ll be able to give you some good advice.

They sometimes do an astronamy night at the RSPB reserve at Old Moor as well which could be a good opportunity to speak to people and look through so scopes. 

I reckon a shop is your best bet if you want to see a number of different scopes, a single person is unlikely to own more than the odd scope or two (unless you get hold of a real enthusiast) to show you and unless you go to an astronomy evening you are not likely to see many more and then it will probably be dark anyway and if you want to pull them apart and see how they work, that might be more conveniently done during the daytime.  Just make sure you go to a proper astronomy shop like Rother Valley Optics suggested above who probably set their reputation by offering good advice rather than somewhere like Jessops who are probably more concerned with selling the commission earned in selling one or two flash-looking designs which might be unsuitable for a beginner and/or not very high quality.  Also remember that if you are starting out a simple mount (like a Dobsonian) might be easier to get your head around than something more complicated.

Archived