NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Early morning Orion sketches

Talitha

It was absolutely gorgeous out the night of 30-31 October, so I waited till Orion was at a decent altitude and did some sketches I'd been wanting to get done since last winter when it was either cloudy or deadcold outside.

Couldn't detect the E and F stars in the Trapezium at 62x but the four main components were very crisp and clear. No idea why the nebulosities look green-ish (esp the Flame).. maybe it's just my monitor.

Anyway, here they are.. finally. :)

Hi Carol - really fine work. Thanks for putting them on SGL. I got a good look at the Orion Nebula this morning (SW England) and could see some of the nebulosity. I'm looking forward to having a good look through my scopes.

All the best.

Ed

Great sketching skills :) - I don't think I'd have the patience to do that even if I had a tracking mount.

I don't see any green on my monitor either. I suspect your monitor might need tweaking or callibrating.

It's nice to see a sketch of this object - don't think I've seen one to be honest and certainly not one this good. It gives a true representation of the eyepiece view and a good idea of what to expect for anyone who's never looked through a telescope before.

That's pretty much how it looked to me with my 12" dob earlier this week. I managed to see the E & F stars but the F star can be a little tricky to see against the nebula's brightness and it's close proximity to the brightest star C.

Is the flame nebula view deliberately at one side of the FOV to avoid the brightness of Alnitak?

I couldn't see the flame nebula at all (even with a UHC filter). It could have been light pollution washing it out or maybe moving Alnitak outside the FOV is the trick.

Thanks everyone, glad you liked them. :(

Astronut, the E and F stars are impossible with the 8" SCT unless the seeing is better than normal... maybe that's the key in picking them out? And yes, Alnitak was purposefully placed out of the fov because it was washing out the nebulosity. I considered making a quick-and-dirty occulting bar, but aside from the time involved I wasn't sure if it would work or not. The first time I ever saw the Flame was about 5 years ago with the 22x100s (averted) when the transparency was better than normal . Can't recall if Alnitak was nudged out of the fov or not, but am guessing it was.

Trust me Billy, the respect is mutual. :notworthy:

We all do what we feel 'drawn' to (sorry, couldn't help myself :) :) ) and although some people actually enjoy the high-tech stuff involved in imaging, it would drive me insane very rapidly. For me, sketching is the way to go.. it's easy, inexpensive, and the worst glitch I've run into is a dropped pencil once in a while. :D

Btw, I had a feeling it was my prehistoric Gateway EV700 playing tricks on me. :D

Thanks. :laugh:

I really doubt you'd be able to see it, Stef. According to this, an O-III won't help much, but you could always try. :help:

Matt, it was one of the last 'pleasant weather' nights of the year.. I really cherish them and stay out as long as I can keep my eyes open. I actually fell asleep while doing a lunar sketch a few years ago, though. The 'bracket' :D that attaches my head to my shoulders loosened up all of a sudden and my forehead slammed down onto the ep. :lol:

Never dropped the pencil, though. :D

Carol, these are fantastic. As usual. I can't wait to get to do some more sketching. I've just kitted myself out with some blending stumps, a black pad and chalk for white on black (steady now!), putty rubber, eraser shield... you name it! Just need to get a clear night now.

Andrew

Thanks everyone! :help:

Hope you get some clear skies soon, Andrew... anxious to see how the black paper and chalk work for you. I tried it a few times but didn't care for it too much (can't teach an old dog new tricks, as the saying goes :D ).

It's great to see what you do so very well Carol. Sketching by definition has to be difficult, especially during cold conditions, and working in poor light. To turn out this level of excellence has to be applauded. I hope we see your work grace SGL for many more years.

I used to have a Gateway system, including the E700 monitor. I quite liked it. :D

Ron. :salute:

Archived