SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Modded DSLR?

FZ1

Newbie question alert!

I've seen discussions of (and adverts for) modded DSLRs, but what is actually modded and what does (do) the modification(s) achieve?

Please feel to refer me to previous threads or other sites if the answer is already out there.

Thanks,

Jon

The basic idea is to remove the infra red filter to get more red (ha)  signal, this of course mucks up other stuff for normal day time pictures but various other mods that can be done to rectify this somewhat.

Dave

41 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

The basic idea is to remove the infra red filter to get more red (ha)  signal, this of course mucks up other stuff for normal day time pictures but various other mods that can be done to rectify this somewhat.

Dave

+1

Definitely worth it for astrophotography... quality of images goes up 10 fold

Yes a DSLR with an astro mod is definitely good ! It will help you pick up more of that red nebulosity.

I already had a Canon 6D and 7D when I started astophotography. I had a limited budget and was keen to get a modded DSLR ASAP thinking that would transform my images. However, in the end I followed some excellent advice from here and invested in some basic autoguiding instead. I went from 1 minute exposures to 10+ minute exposures and learned the ropes with my existing DSLRs, the modded camera came later down the line.

I think the autoguiding gave me a bigger increase in the quality of my images than a modded camera could have done at that time. I’m not saying don’t get a modded camera, just that if you are going to use a telescope for astrophotography and already own a DSLR it might be worth considering investing in autoguiding first.

Here is the thread that helped me....

Here’s a couple of images taken before I got a modded DSLR

No autoguiding - 30 sec exposures

Autoguiding with 10 minute exposures

Thanks folks.

As per previous note, I'm not ready for imaging yet (nor is my bank balance!), just interested in the "science" of it at the moment.

Doubtless, I will fall into the money-pit at some point, but not just yet! ?

Cheers,

Jon

I agree with Olly. If you can afford it (one day) go for a cooled CMOS camera (ZWO and QHY being the most popular brands) since they are significantly less noisy than un-cooled DSLRs.

Also, I there are two variants of modding. The simplest is to remove the IR filter (to get more Ha) but you can also have the bayer mask removed to turn the DSLR into a mono camera to be used with filters (makes it more suitable for narrowband imaging). Finally, some people and companies even add cooling to the DSLR but then I really think one might as well go for a cooled CMOS camera.

Archived