NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC6820 from the dual rig

swag72

This has sat on my hard drive now for well over 2 months.... Not been quite sure of it, moved between this image and a less green one..... finally decided that this colour palette gave a depth that the lack of green just didn't have. 

NGC 6820 is an emission nebula that surrounds open cluster NGC 6823 in Vulpecula. The nebula NGC 6820 is also called Sh 2-86.The most striking feature is the trunk-like pillar of dust and gas protruding from the east side of the nebula. The huge pillars of gas and dust are probably formed when surrounding gas and dust is pushed and eroded away by radiation from nearby stars. NGC6820 lies about 6000 light years away.

I welcome any comments especially about the colours!

Details
M: EQ8
T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x
? QSI683 and Moravian G2-8300 with Astrodon 3nm Ha, OIII and SII filters

46x1800s Ha
36x1800s OIII
31x1800s SII

Total exposure time 56 hours 30 mins

You can see a larger resolution image at www.swagastro.com/ngc6820

NGC6820_dual taks.jpg

22 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Well, Sara, I like the colours - I have recently started leaving green in on my narrowband images as there is, of course, no defined colour to stick with so if green adds to the image, I leave it in!

Many thanks Steve..... it took a number of months to decide on the colours!!

17 hours ago, RichLD said:

That's lovely Sara, 56 hours and worth every minute! ? I really like the palette you've chosen BTW.

Many thanks Rich ???? Glad that you like it  ?

15 hours ago, toxic said:

core blimey thats a beaut Sara 

Thanks???? it was a tough one to do and decide quite how to process it.

On 23/10/2018 at 14:41, Tiny Small said:

This is absolutely spectacular. And I agree with everyone else; the green works and gives it more depth.

Thanks!!! I'm glad that you agree about the green..... it was almost a leap of faith :) 

On 23/10/2018 at 21:31, Petergoodhew said:

We all tend to run out of superlatives with your images Sara.  It's striking - because of the colours. That dust pillar is really 3-dimensional.  Yet another stunning image.

Peter

Many thanks Peter - Kind of you to say ?

On 24/10/2018 at 02:17, Shibby said:

Super effort, super image. You've done well do present a large dynamic range, deal with all those stars and everything else going on!

Cheers Lewis - It wasn't too difficult to process with the dynamic range.... the colours were an issue!

Wow, that's excellent. 

56 hours!!!!  flippin heck.

I recently imaged this in bicolour and managed 8 hours which is a lot for me with my lack of opportunities, I could not get any Oiii to show at all, despite there being some on the Oiii channel.  I did not take Sii as understood there was very little.  But maybe I got it the wrong way round.

I like your colour presentation.  In your images there is a tendency to see more than most, so it is difficult to find any to compare it with.

Carole 

On 25/10/2018 at 18:51, carastro said:

Wow, that's excellent. 

56 hours!!!!  flippin heck.

I recently imaged this in bicolour and managed 8 hours which is a lot for me with my lack of opportunities, I could not get any Oiii to show at all, despite there being some on the Oiii channel.  I did not take Sii as understood there was very little.  But maybe I got it the wrong way round.

I like your colour presentation.  In your images there is a tendency to see more than most, so it is difficult to find any to compare it with.

Carole 

Thanks Carole - I have recently found a few targets where I was wrong about there being no OIII in there!!  Even when it's not showing in a single sub, you'll be surprised at how stuff can show up when stacked. APP is also pretty good at being able to bring out the faintest of colours when combined. ?

On 25/10/2018 at 19:33, whipdry said:

Great image Sara, can't stop myself coming back for another look!

Peter

Many thanks Peter - I'm glad that you like it :) 

Archived