NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light

Jaffa007

Hi All,

My new scope came last week Wednesday [skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5], in three box's. Just got them in the boot of the car! :laugh:

Had a play and set it up on Wednesday evening, but had to wait till Friday night to actually get to view through it. Even then it was quit late so was litterally working blind But didn't take long before I was searching the sky for my first object, Saturn. WOW! What a sight! Only have supplied eyepieces a 10mm & 25mm & x2 Barlow. In my humble opinion, they are excellent.

My only gripe would be that the view of Saturn wasn't big enough! I WANT BIGGER.......NOWWWWW

I used the 10 & 25mm with the barlow, but would like to see more, would a 6mm eyepiece be my next purchase? Or am I going the wrong way? Advice please, thanks

Great kit Jaffa :laugh:

It might have been said before but size doen't matter :oops: (shurrup Caz!) It's what you can see that counts. Could you see Cassini and a band across the disc? Did it look nice and sharp?

A 6mm might be a bit of a waste of money. You will be getting less magnification that the 10mm with barlow and 6mm with barlow would be too much for good viewing. A 7.5 would do the trick if you can find one at the right price. Their is and Antares Elite 7.5 which is supposed to be very good but might be a bit pricey for you.

I have the 10mm Elite and the views are crystal clear through it! The standard skywatcher plossls are OK, but nothing fantastic (hey, they're free!!).

Also, would recommend the orthoscopics for planetary. I have the 5mm version and again, cracking views. Gaz has an entire shop-full so could offer more advice here.

:laugh:

P.S. GREAT scope you have there Jaffa :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking that Gaz, he's got himself pretty much well covered with the Mags he can get now. A nice 40mm ep would be my choice then at a later date upgrade the 10mm ep and poss the Barlow to an orion 2x apo barlow...

James :laugh:

I myself am looking out for a nice 32mm eyepiece, although it seems the best ones are 2" and start to get expensive (which for me is over £30!). Any surgestions on decent 32mm 1.25" eyepieces that are cheap and half decent? My seeing is usually terrible and i have lots of light pollution so it's pointless me spending lots of money on a APO 1/10th wave etc gear

With a 200mm scope, your max power is 400x, under good clear skies with amazing seeing and transparency. As it's an f/5 scope, you can obtain this power with a 2.5mm eyepiece (f-ratio/2 gives the ep length that will maximize your scope.) It's possible to get a little more out of a good scope on a good night. Caz reported pushing her scope above its max about a week ago. Your most comfortable viewing will probably be at a lower power, such as that provided by the 5mm ep others have suggested, but a 2x Barlow would put you at maximum on a good night.

After a while, you'll find that magnification isnt' everything.

Congratulations on a good scope, and a good first light! :laugh:

I myself am looking out for a nice 32mm eyepiece, although it seems the best ones are 2" and start to get expensive (which for me is over £30!). Any surgestions on decent 32mm 1.25" eyepieces that are cheap and half decent? My seeing is usually terrible and i have lots of light pollution so it's pointless me spending lots of money on a APO 1/10th wave etc gear

I have the 32mm celestron + very good value also the Tal 32mm and the 40mm again very good for the money I think you may want to think about a light pollution filter first then take it from there imho :laugh:

Thanks everyone, for some great words of wisdom! From reading up I did think the 6mm might be of not much use, thanks Martin B for suggestion of the 7.5mm. As for bigger....... eyepieces [ twinkletoes :lol:], I have had my eye on the Moonfish reviewed in the S&N mag.

Well it's raining again, so no more sights for a few days :laugh:

Thanks again all. :laugh:

A bit late to this thread...

Congrats on your new scope :laugh:

Personally, I'd buy the best 10mm (or thereabouts) that I could afford followed by a 30+mm and a barlow; if you prefer to stick with 1.25" fitting then I can recommend the Meade Series 4000 32mm Super Plossl.

... even later to this thread! If you don't push the ep all the way into the barlow you will get a bigger image. Focus may be an issue though but it's a given that the further away the ep is from the barlow lens the more magnification you will get.

arthur

Archived