NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Win 10 Fall Update

Thalestris24

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RayD said:

Yes I had seen this, but I wouldn't want to test the validity of the license if it contains information on the date of the update and you are using MS support.

It's apparently legit even if not widely known. When I got help from an online helper I ended up with a Win 10 Pro after only previously having had Win 10 home prior to a hardware upgrade (basically a new PC) back in Jan. I had lots of trouble trying to get activation even with the helper doing his best. In the end he asked me if I had any valid product key so I dug out an old Win 7 disk and gave him that. All was well and have never had a problem. I don't think Microsoft keeps a record of product keys - there must be an awful lot of them!

Louise

4 hours ago, RayD said:

If you use Defender as your AV then the updates are essential as they not only contain the definitions for it (almost daily sometimes), but also updates for the AV itself.  

It could be argued that all updates are necessary, but not all of them 'patch vulnerabilities' as is often presumed, many are just additions and improvements, so not necessary if you are not affected, so it could equally be argued that they are not.

Thanks for the info. I do use Defender for AV. So I think I'll continue to apply updates, but do it manually and ensure I always have restore points setup in case of problems.

Andy.

2 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

Thanks for the info. I do use Defender for AV. So I think I'll continue to apply updates, but do it manually and ensure I always have restore points setup in case of problems.

Andy.

That's exactly what I do, Andy.  I appreciate that I do need the updates, but when they are installed is very much controlled by me.  I've not had any issues to date doing it this way and, like mentioned by others above, I tend to wait until a major update has been patched (or in the recent case postponed) to apply them.

A little update on my 'unactivated' Win10Pro problem described here,  after a period of slow internet, email not opening and web slow it seems to have disappeared as if it never happened, Windows is back where it was a few days ago and I have an activated Win10Pro licence as before. Expect that was being adjusted while everything seemed slow.  Happy Days.

The Windows licencing problem came up at work the other day, and it's a known problem apparently. The solution we were given was to go to Settings->Update and Security->Activation, and choose troubleshoot. I've not experienced it myself, but there were several other people in the office who did.

Mines got itself into an endless update loop again with it's choice of update and switch off or update and restart, it says it's doing updates but doesn't do any and restarts still saying update and switch off or restart.

Dave

55 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Mines got itself into an endless update loop again with it's choice of update and switch off or update and restart, it says it's doing updates but doesn't do any and restarts still saying update and switch off or restart.

Dave

Oh dear - try this https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/break-endless-windows-10-update-loop/ or boot into safe mode

hth

Louise

Archived