Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Win 10 Fall Update

Thalestris24

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Yes think I jumped the gun a bit getting 1809, fingers crossed all's ok!.

Steve

Oh you have it already! ? I thought I'd jumped the gun by posting about it yesterday... https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/06/microsoft-pauses-windows-10-version-1809-rollout/

I think there are file deletion issues when running disk cleanup and maybe other problems. I suspect astro users should be particularly wary and cautious. I shall await the official re-release and back up my important data anyway. It will probably take me several days (in between other things)  - I have two and a half desktops plus a laptop...

Louise

Haven't really checked much but it seems to have added a few bits and bobs such as some photo tools and something to send/receive texts from mobile to pc, they seem to big on targeting ads to users too!

Steve

9 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Doesn't seem to be anything they've added that would particularly interest me. I worry about what they might change or take away!

Louise

One guy apparently had 20 odd years of photographs wiped, luckily he'd backed them up.

Dave

I actually did the upgrade to my astro only use laptop, to avoid it doing it mid imaging session all by itself. Update actually worked without any issues - PHEW!!!! 

I really am at a loss how a company like Microsoft can release something with this level of issue, without testing - its really not acceptable.

Windows 10, I thought was a good OS  but,  they have just convinced me to stick with my iMac which just does what it says on the tin, and all updates are tested prior to release.

12 minutes ago, wornish said:

I really am at a loss how a company like Microsoft can release something with this level of issue, without testing - its really not acceptable.

That's what they've got us for :D

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Just bit the bullet and let it update here, seems OK ATM, fingers crossed, touch wood, make a wish and turn round three times -------- :grin:

Dave

Are you a Windows Insider? I thought 1809 hadn't been generally released yet (since the pause)… It sounds like deletion problems were rare anyway so not likely to be a problem :)

Louise

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

Are you a Windows Insider? I thought 1809 hadn't been generally released yet (since the pause)… It sounds like deletion problems were rare anyway so not likely to be a problem :)

Louise

No it popped up yesterday when I tried to shut down so I put it to sleep for the  night and just done it this morning.

Guess / hope they've fixed the problems.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

No it popped up yesterday when I tried to shut down so I put it to sleep for the  night and just done it this morning.

Guess / hope they've fixed the problems.

Dave

Oh I had some updates yesterday but not the major 1809 one - just the cumulative and feature updates for 1803.

Louise

Deletion happened to people on pro networks who had extended their documents folder with a redirect to a network drive. Non-redirected files were deleted.

According to The Register there were multiple reports of this happening from beta testers which is more than a little worrying and to me a symptom of deeper issues.

24 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I wonder how these events are timed, my laptop just installed the 1803 update even though I manually check everyday in conjunction with the auto settings?

Alan

I understand you can postpone feature updates for up to six months. I suppose you did that. Maybe those six months were over. I'll find the source for this and add it to this post.

Edit: It was this:

Archived