Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMod random freezing - EQ6 via Bluetooth

Hi All,

Having some annoying issues the past few nights, my APT & PHD keeps freezing, but I think its actually EQMod that is hanging up. Have tried everything I can think of:

• Reinstalled EQMOD & ASCOM
  • Removed and reinstalled bluetooth dongle
  • Set everything up again on an entirely different PC

Im using a DewControl USB Bluetooth Dongle (have also tried with onboard bluetooth) and the Bluetooth module for the EQ6

Im not getting any errors / logs etc - just a frozen EQmod process, nothing can be reconnected until I power down the mount and restart the laptop/pc.

Heard it could be power supply to the mount so replaced that but still no dice.

Anyone have any other things I can test?

Ive been fine up until the last 3 nights. Not sure what has changed really (except maybe the temperature)

Im using a 12v 5a power supply, have a 3a one i tested with too.

Its "kind of" working again now, time will tell if it crashes again tonight im taking darks and going to bed ?

I gave up on the same bluetooth for the same reason. The bluetooth connection was a bit too flaky and random disconnects for me.

I got the Skywatcher dongle and connect perfectly first time every time via synscan mobile telescope and EQMOD. 

3 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Just a thought but is your dongle plugged into a USB port that’s being turned off for power saving?  I had a similar problem with eqmod and my laptop until I discovered my laptop was turning the USB port off...  

Dave

Good point, i've set the laptop up in anti-planet-saving mode but there may be some sort of device specific option I guess - definately worth researching thanks.

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Come on, you know this is the fastest way of getting your bluetooth working perfectly for every session from now on ?

Hahaha yep. Truth is the bluetooth dongle worked a treat up until a few days ago - was very chuffed with it. Reluctant to spend £35 on a cable if I could help it but at least knowing its in the case waiting to be used means I can relax about it failing.

May have just had a breakthrough, but yet to be confirmed. I forgot to turn my cheapo-dew controller on tonight and only just noticed, incidently the bluetooth has been working perfectly all night.

I had the PWM controller mounted on the mount just above the mount electronics where there was some spare velcro strips, perhaps its some sort of electrical interferance - will hopefully find out soon.

Well im pretty convinced that was it. Within minutes of switching on the power supply for the dew heater the mount had crashed. Ill try and isolate it a bit further to work out if its power supply, pwm controller or the band?? Its probably the power supply though - its older than me.

1 hour ago, upahill said:

Well im pretty convinced that was it. Within minutes of switching on the power supply for the dew heater the mount had crashed. Ill try and isolate it a bit further to work out if its power supply, pwm controller or the band?? Its probably the power supply though - its older than me.

If you get a new power supply at least if it isn’t the problem you have a spare.  Well done resolving this issue. I’m sure it was an extremely frustrating problem. 

Looks like I spoke too soon, I tried a different power supply on the dew heater and still the same. In fact the heater wouldnt heat so I just unplugged it and removed it from the equation completely.

I just wish there was some consistency in the crashes to help with diagnosing it - but once it happens its pretty much a write off for the rest of the night. I have to restart windows, then power down the mount, and put the mount back in roughly pole position or EQMod wont sync anything when it does reconnect, so I lose alignment data etc.

Building a focuser this week so really want to get this issue nailed down before I introduce a load more variables to the mix. "Sudden random fault, some of the time, with the bluetooth module" isnt cutting it for me in my head - must be something I am missing. Does EQMod spit out any logs anywhere or have a debug mode?

4 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Have you tried the EQMOD forum?  There are logs to find them search your computer for EQMOD, I've also seen some threads about similar issues on Cloudy Nights, you could try there. Or buy the cable :) 

Yep just ordered a cable from FLO. If it fixes it then £40 well spent I guess, rapidly running out of USB ports ?

Ill post on the EQMOD forum too - thanks.

Good move, I have the cable and once I got the usb power save/laptop sleep issues sorted EQMOD hasn't missed a beat in 100's of hours (hasn't stopped Windows 10 updates messing things up though).  Also if you need a USB hub get a powered one, several recommendations on the forum...  I and others  had problems with unpowered ones...

Dave

I'd be thinking that 5a is  a little tight for mount and dew heaters - plus whatever else you have connected - heaters can pull 2 - 5 amps and I'm sure the mount will use 3 -4 amps when slewing.

Had a similar issue until I upgraded my power supply.

Neil

24 minutes ago, ngwillym said:

I'd be thinking that 5a is  a little tight for mount and dew heaters - plus whatever else you have connected - heaters can pull 2 - 5 amps and I'm sure the mount will use 3 -4 amps when slewing.

Had a similar issue until I upgraded my power supply.

Neil

Ah sorry meant to clarify - the heaters and mount run on seperae power supplies, the mounts is a 5A and had been fine for months (and presumably years) before. The only way the heaters power would have been causing an issue is some sort of electrical interference with the bluetooth module. Don't know enough to rule that out - so I tested it with no heaters at all, thought I had cracked it and just as I was getting ready to pack up it happened again.

EQMOD logging is non-existent, there was a Windows application hang report which did nothing but say the application hung. It does seem to be EQmod that crashes though, and PHD/APT then struggle communicating with it and subsequently crash. Was hoping the lead would arrive today but must have missed FLO's despatch cut-off. Not that it matters ☁️☁️☁️☁️

I have also ordered a 30A supply to run everything :)

Ah, got you.

My problem was that EQMod seemed to lock up- usually while slewing, and the scope would continue to slew - only way out was to shut off mount and re-boot PC. Haven't had the problem since I got a new Nevada power supply (25a)

Neil

New cable arrived quickly (thanks FLO) - I also decided to do the power mod since it was cloudy tonight so whilst I dont believe this was the fault, have heard it's worth doing.

Just hoping I get a chance to test it all before SGL party - but im still building what im going to be sleeping in ?

IMG_2985.JPG.be49df4be0f9fb4adffaa3511acda0fb.JPG

1 hour ago, upahill said:

New cable arrived quickly (thanks FLO) - I also decided to do the power mod since it was cloudy tonight so whilst I dont believe this was the fault, have heard it's worth doing.

Just hoping I get a chance to test it all before SGL party - but im still building what im going to be sleeping in ?

IMG_2985.JPG.be49df4be0f9fb4adffaa3511acda0fb.JPG

Lots of help if you ask at the SP but if you leave it while dark let us get our kit running first ??

Archived