Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at SII, Ha, OIII image: Pelican nebula

Tiny Small

So this is my first attempt at a three colour narrowband image and I ran into a few problems controlling halos around some of the stars. Quite sure that I'll figure it out in time but any advice would be welcome, as would advice on processing in the Hubble palette.

Shot with the ZWO 178 mm-cool and Altair Astro 60 EDF at 200 gain and 65 offset.

Integration:

Ha; 72 x 300s 

OIII; 59 x 300s

SII; 27 x 600s

Total integration time just under 15.5 hours.

Pelican nebula small.jpg

Edited by Tiny Small
  • Like 10

42 minutes ago, Tiny Small said:

I ran into a few problems controlling halos around some of the stars

Hi,

Very nice image - I really like it.

You don't mention which processing software you used. I use PS to create Hubble Palette images (Annie's Astro Actions) and run into problems with magenta halos, however, I discovered there is a nice fix for it in PI using a PixelMath script (attached) I found on the PI forum. Apparently the same thing can be achieved using ColorMask under the Script menu but as yet I've not tried that method.

HTH

Adrian

remove magenta stars.xpsm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi,

Very nice image - I really like it.

You don't mention which processing software you used. I use PS to create Hubble Palette images (Annie's Astro Actions) and run into problems with magenta halos, however, I discovered there is a nice fix for it in PI using a PixelMath script (attached) I found on the PI forum. Apparently the same thing can be achieved using ColorMask under the Script menu but as yet I've not tried that method.

HTH

Adrian

remove magenta stars.xpsm

I stack in either DSS or Astroart (depends if Astroart gives me issues or not), then do the entirety of my processing in PS. I don't use actions though as, coming from a conventional photography background, I'm well versed in editing the conventional way.

Great first hubble palate NB.  With regard to halos there are any number of methods or removing and you probably need to know a few to deal with different situations.  One curde but very effective way in PS is to apply a blur in photoshop using filter/ dust and scratches to your stretched colour layer.  Don't over do this since you loose colour intensity and don't try to eliminate all the stars.  Layer the blurred colour image onto your luminence using colour as the blend mode.  Then be brutal!  use the clone stamp or healing brush (for smaller stars) over the offending stars and halos.  Most of the time this will work nicely but it can be a bit labour intensive.  

One thing to watch out for when using big blurs is that colour can be stripped from fine filaments.  You can get around this by layering an unblurred colour image over your blurred one and then just revealing the colour filaments using a layer mask.  This is all very un pixinsight and will horrify processing purists!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Great first hubble palate NB.  With regard to halos there are any number of methods or removing and you probably need to know a few to deal with different situations.  One curde but very effective way in PS is to apply a blur in photoshop using filter/ dust and scratches to your stretched colour layer.  Don't over do this since you loose colour intensity and don't try to eliminate all the stars.  Layer the blurred colour image onto your luminence using colour as the blend mode.  Then be brutal!  use the clone stamp or healing brush (for smaller stars) over the offending stars and halos.  Most of the time this will work nicely but it can be a bit labour intensive.  

One thing to watch out for when using big blurs is that colour can be stripped from fine filaments.  You can get around this by layering an unblurred colour image over your blurred one and then just revealing the colour filaments using a layer mask.  This is all very un pixinsight and will horrify processing purists!

When I used to shoot fashion and beauty, the skin was edited by non-destructive dodging and burning at pixel level, with a person's face taking a day or two sometimes, so the method you suggest isn't that labour intensive. I think I'll stay away from blurs as it's very easy to mess it up and very hard to get it right, but if there aren't any decent ways of globally controlling the halos then next time, the clone tool around individual stars might be a sensible option or perhaps just painting them out on a colour layer.

One thing that I didn't realise was that a luminance layer can be used with narrowband. Seems obvious when you say it but it just didn't cross my mind. I'm assuming it's usually a Ha layer?

6 hours ago, Tiny Small said:

Thanks. I'm using Altair Astro filters. 7Nm Ha, 6.5 Nm OIII and SII.

Aaah.. I think those are on the "budget'y side" and could very well be the source of those halo's, actually they might be the same as gen. 1 ZWO filters.. (Not sure though..)

My guess is it would be particularly bad in the OIII master??

I just purchased a set og Baader LRGB filters + Ha + OIII and i researched it quite extensively, and alot of the cheaper filters have problems with halo's particularly in the OIII filters.

Edited by jjosefsen

4 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

Aaah.. I think those are on the "budget'y side" and could very well be the source of those halo's, actually they might be the same as gen. 1 ZWO filters.. (Not sure though..)

My guess is it would be particularly bad in the OIII master??

I just purchased a set og Baader LRGB filters + Ha + OIII and i researched it quite extensively, and alot of the cheaper filters have problems with halo's particularly in the OIII filters.

They're about the same price as the standard baader ones (£250 for three 1.25 inch filters Vs £270 for the baaders) and the o3 and S2 have a narrower range than the baader filters. 

Edited by Tiny Small

7 hours ago, Tiny Small said:

They're about the same price as the standard baader ones (£250 for three 1.25 inch filters Vs £270 for the baaders) and the o3 and S2 have a narrower range than the baader filters. 

Yeah you are right actually, my bad.. But is the Halo more significant in one particular band i wonder?

12 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Yeah you are right actually, my bad.. But is the Halo more significant in one particular band i wonder?

I replied when I was half asleep last night, so I apologise for missing this bit out: the individual channels look fine, but the Ha has physically bigger stars and i think that, combined with aggressive stretching is what is causing the halos. I think it's a sub length and processing  issue. I'll need to take a look at some individual subs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...