Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Condensation under covers

Hello,

I keep my mount only outside under a good waterproof breathable cover. However being paranoid about wet getting 'in' I also use a bin liner on the inside, - but I have begun to notice condensation on the inside of the bin liner. Just looking for thoughts on what i could do. I was thinking of putting some sort of heated fan under the covers, but I only have a 12v dc supply, and any heaters I have found will draw too big an ampage from my supply (rated about 8A). There are pet blankets which I thought also might be a possibility, or maybe just blowing air around would work (without the heat).

Ultimately what ever I connect it would have to be 12V and not draw more than 8A, and I am not sure there is much out there to give off enough heat from that wattage.

Maybe I am worrying about nothing though ?

Thanks

Alistair

First of all remove the plastic bin liner and only use the breathable cover. 
Second you only need very little power to keep the temperature under the cover just above dew point. 
25-50 watts will be enough to acomplish that, which will be 2-4 Amps... Think about a terrarium or pet place heater. 

I use skiboot heaters for that same purpose: 17 Watts, but 220 volts... I don't know if 12 V skibootheaters are available. Google may have the answer...

1 hour ago, Grierson said:

Dave, there seems to be a wide variety. Can you recommend a specific item. Thanks - John

I bought this one, I'm powering it via a 12volt battery charged by a 25 watt solar panel.

I was using a breathable cover but still got condensation.

Comes up as £4.00 something but its £26.00

Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kozeepet-Puppy-Electric-Heat-Pad-Mat-Vinyl-Heated-Cat-Dog-Bed-Pet-Whelping-Box-/262305414137?var=&hash=item82a1f74cc5

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I bought this one, I'm powering it via a 12volt battery charged by a 25 watt solar panel.

I was using a breathable cover but still got condensation.

Comes up as £4.00 something but its £26.00

Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kozeepet-Puppy-Electric-Heat-Pad-Mat-Vinyl-Heated-Cat-Dog-Bed-Pet-Whelping-Box-/262305414137?var=&hash=item82a1f74cc5

It isnt just a breathable cover you need, but more importantly airflow under it, that is what will stop condensation, if the breathable cover is fixed tight with no airflow then it won’t work properly.. :)

Archived