Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Esprit 100 - Storing your scope

14 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Nice one @daz and sorry to heart about the theft mate. I know how to feels.

Would you mind checking the length of the case you bought? The link one is 47cm/18" and I know this scope is 47 cm long but I suspect (please do correct me if I'm wrong) the stated 47 cm length is when the dew shield is not extended and the tube rings are not attached? 

Yeah will do.

And yes, the length is with the dew shield retracted. I actually never tried to fit with the rings and dovetail on - but I can easily do that and check. I'll do over the weekend and take some pics...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Try 38"-24"-36" and see what they come up with.    ?

Don't ?

17 minutes ago, daz said:

Yeah will do.

And yes, the length is with the dew shield retracted. I actually never tried to fit with the rings and dovetail on - but I can easily do that and check. I'll do over the weekend and take some pics...

Cheers Daz, that would be much appreciated mate. So do you normally take off the tube rings, retract the dew shield and then put it in the box? 

On the OPTcorp site it says length 24.5" extended ( https://optcorp.com/products/sky-watcher-esprit-100-ed-apo-refractor-s11410) which is 62.2 cm. So I just went to a nearby Swedish hardware store and bought this rather inexpensive but sturdy plastic box that is even water proof (there is a sealing in the lid) for 299 Skr = about 25 GBP. It is cm 39,50 x 78,00 x 35,00 Then I bought some padding (self-adhesive sound proofing material for cars) sold in the same store. So now I am ready for the scope to arrive!

It is called Scuba Box L, and is made by an Italian company. I now found it on the net:

http://www.kis.it/en/singola-categoria?id=197&w=Storage boxes&k=nu

I expect it can be bought in UK as well, at least until brexit.....

20180921_132143_resized.jpg

20180921_132206_resized.jpg

20180921_135925_resized.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Look at 'really useful boxes', they have lockable lids and are water/pest proof. I found one that's a good fit for my new scope with rings and guidescope attached.

I googled them and they seem to be see-through plastic, and slightly ugly. I think I prefer the professionally looking Italian made one that I bought?

20180921_144211_resized.jpg

57 minutes ago, gorann said:

On the OPTcorp site it says length 24.5" extended ( https://optcorp.com/products/sky-watcher-esprit-100-ed-apo-refractor-s11410) which is 62.2 cm. So I just went to a nearby Swedish hardware store and bought this rather inexpensive but sturdy plastic box that is even water proof (there is a sealing in the lid) for 299 Skr = about 25 GBP. It is cm 39,50 x 78,00 x 35,00 Then I bought some padding (self-adhesive sound proofing material for cars) sold in the same store. So now I am ready for the scope to arrive!

It is called Scuba Box L, and is made by an Italian company. I now found it on the net:

http://www.kis.it/en/singola-categoria?id=197&w=Storage boxes&k=nu

I expect it can be bought in UK as well, at least until brexit.....

20180921_132143_resized.jpg

20180921_132206_resized.jpg

20180921_135925_resized.jpg

A great find there mate on both the scope length fronts and the box.

I'm going to hit B&M stores this weekend and see if i can spot something as well. While i was typing this i wondered if there is something that is neat and can double up for something fashionable ... how about one of these storage boxes?

storage.thumb.jpg.0125f1b6efb0cd826d132fa6cfd93433.jpg

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Look at 'really useful boxes', they have lockable lids and are water/pest proof. I found one that's a good fit for my new scope with rings and guidescope attached.

Neil, these "really useful boxes" is something i have currently using for storing away my Star71 when everything is attached. They're nice and sturdy boxes for sure. In B&Q you get a set of 5 for only £25 ... this can happen.

Also i'm thinking of maybe one of those stanley tools storage boxes?

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Found one more alternative

https://www.diy.com/departments/skyda-heavy-duty-black-149l-plastic-nestable-storage-trunk/3663602763505_BQ.prd

I remember seeing one of these in Wilko a month ago and this seemed big enough.

Just need to find some padding now.

But if you read the reviews on that site you find that they are brittle

Mate if you really want a box then one of the plastic ones with the lids which clip on can be bought in various sizes for very reasonable costs, and you can just buy some foam from eBay or Amazon and size and shape it so suit.  If you pay slightly more (around (£10) then you get a pretty durable one.

The plastic boxes I use here in Spain have a little compartment on the lid in which you can pop some desiccant which is handy, and I'm sure ones like that are available in the UK and is ideal for astro kit.

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

Mate if you really want a box then one of the plastic ones with the lids which clip on can be bought in various sizes for very reasonable costs, and you can just buy some foam from eBay or Amazon and size and shape it so suit.  If you pay slightly more (around (£10) then you get a pretty durable one.

The plastic boxes I use here in Spain have a little compartment on the lid in which you can pop some desiccant which is handy, and I'm sure ones like that are available in the UK and is ideal for astro kit.

Nice one mate. I'm not sure what i want right now really. Just trying to bounce some ideas around. Basically the storage will only be used to store the scope away and not travel with it. I will pick my scope out of it and put it on the mount and then the scope goes back in the storage at the end of each session.

10 minutes ago, gorann said:

No not if you check my posts....

Sorry no i meant on my research :) Yours was very helpful indeed. I'm keep an eye out on the Scuba and will wait for you to get your scope and see how it fits first :)

22 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Quite a while back I just searched the Internet for "large flight case with foam" and bought one of these. It's a decent size and I can keep everything connected. Was quite cheap too. 

DSC_0337.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

Was this from eBay by any chance mate?

Isn't this the same one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-X-LARGE-Aluminium-Flight-Case-Tool-Box-With-Foam-Block-680x300x190mm/312224183735?hash=item48b202f5b7:g:Zh4AAOSw7PBTobUg

The size of this looks perfect to me, would it be possible to confirm the length of this mate?

I've got a couple of cases from those folks, the only problem I had was the first one had 3 catches but the second one only had 2 catches so as soon as I put any weight in it and lifted it by the handle it gaped open in the middle, to fix this I had to fit another catch, on the bright side the second one was cheaper :grin:

Dave

Case-1.png.cb4384fc82cfcb57ab4ef80a3ebf3e89.png

Case-2.png.68ce168ba49df8b29cf10c532f58f807.png

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Was this from eBay by any chance mate?

Isn't this the same one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-X-LARGE-Aluminium-Flight-Case-Tool-Box-With-Foam-Block-680x300x190mm/312224183735?hash=item48b202f5b7:g:Zh4AAOSw7PBTobUg

The size of this looks perfect to me, would it be possible to confirm the length of this mate?

No I didn't get it from ebay although that does look the same. I don't remember where I got it from, sorry. 

I've just measured it and it's 34x12x11

23 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I've got a couple of cases from those folks, the only problem I had was the first one had 3 catches but the second one only had 2 catches so as soon as I put any weight in it and lifted it by the handle it gaped open in the middle, to fix this I had to fit another catch, on the bright side the second one was cheaper :grin:

Dave

Case-1.png.cb4384fc82cfcb57ab4ef80a3ebf3e89.png

Case-2.png.68ce168ba49df8b29cf10c532f58f807.png

Oh nice mate. Looks like between you and @geordie85, we could potentially have a real winner. I don't suppose you have the measurements of this bad boy at hand and also where you got this from? 

12 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

No I didn't get it from ebay although that does look the same. I don't remember where I got it from, sorry. 

I've just measured it and it's 34x12x11

Cheers matey, this is really really helpful. I know what our star 71 looks like and this could be just the thing. @gorann did mention that the size of Esprit 100 when the shield is extended comes up to 24" so plenty of room still left. 

8 hours ago, gorann said:

I think I prefer the professionally looking Italian made one that I bought?

I bet it cost more than 5.99 ?

Tonight Morrisons have huge Really Useful Boxes in black with wheels and a pull along handle for £18. Tempted to get one for moving all my kit in one go.

This seems to be the same one, but with coloured handle and hwheels:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Really-Useful-Black-Large-Plastic-Wheeled-Trunk---160L/p/182515

12 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Got them from these folks they do various sizes, mine are 250mm x 350mm x 830mm

Actually went for a drive to collect one of them unfortunately they've got lot's of other tempting stuff there

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/

Dave

Can't have too many flight cases :grin:

Travel-Kit.png.6581c293376a6adee452699658c571cd.png

That's quite a few of them Dave :D all astro stuff?

I'm really considering their cases right now. I presume the third latch was easy to put on? 

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I bet it cost more than 5.99 ?

Tonight Morrisons have huge Really Useful Boxes in black with wheels and a pull along handle for £18. Tempted to get one for moving all my kit in one go.

This seems to be the same one, but with coloured handle and hwheels:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Really-Useful-Black-Large-Plastic-Wheeled-Trunk---160L/p/182515

Really nice find mate. I've seen the 149L variant and that did seem a little bit big so can only assume this is bigger. Wicks is not too far from my home so can pop in to take a quick look. 

8 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

I was kindly given this section of a lovely sideboard in the hallway to store my scope. There used to be a shelf dividing the section in two. I may have taken some liberties. I may also be in trouble.?20180921_235323.thumb.jpg.419f5f674c6901632b8f45b3c8ed0dd9.jpg

That's so ideal mate. Unlike me where my kit can be found almost in every corner of the house :D my wife did give me the option to buy the house next door just to put my kit but she wasn't going to help out with the mortgage. ?

Archived