Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D Printers

Thalestris24

1 hour ago, Paul Gerlach said:

Why not go for a Sidewinder X1?

Not one I've come across. This review is framed quite positively but suggests a wobbly vertical axis is an issue and there may be some compatibility issues with Cura.

That said it's got some nice features like a mains heated bed and volcano-type extruder.

Well besides owning a Felix Pro 3 Touch I recently bought a Sidewinder X1 myself and this thing prints great out of the box and is now, after some upgrades like Hemera extruder, aluminium buildplate with PEI flexplate (don't like that glass plate with coating) and firmware update (for manual  9 point mesh bed levelling) even better.
That said, you'll have to take into account that it's still a Chinese printer so quality control can vary.
Oh, and forgot to mention; it's one of the quietest printers I come across!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Gerlach said:

Why not go for a Sidewinder X1?

Honestly, I have no idea :D

One of the things to consider would be price - up to 500e seems reasonable amount of money.

Second thing would be - ability to print with Pet-g. As far as I can tell (limited internet research) - it is sturdy enough material without all that ABS nasty fumes thing. I want to print some parts to be used with my astronomy kit - motor mounts, holders for things, DIY spectrographs and mechanical iris kind of gadgets.

Third thing would be availability - will purchase locally because of shipping fees (rather high for bulky items). That means I need to choose from available list of models:

image.png.13ac3f4a90ed9eb1283503f0cd06edb4.png

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I know its stretching your budget, but if you want a good reliable printer, that will print using all materials, then you can't go wrong with a Prusa Mk3  https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html

Based on this comparison:

https://total3dprinting.org/creality-cr-10-vs-prusa-i3/

I'm still leaning towards Cr 10 V2

All I know is I see many peeps getting a Creality, for the hardware, but soon update the control system to a Duet3d board (https://www.duet3d.com/).

I have a Prusa i3 Mk2 and a self build DBot\Duet3d printer, and I find each has its own place, and better for doing some parts as opposed to others.

• Like 1

Just joining in because why not?!

I got bored of FDM printers because I just got lame results. Now have an Elegoo Mars resin printer and 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Print quality is incredible next to FDM. Parts are much more brittle, although other resins can partially counteract this apparently. I'm yet to venture outside Elegoo's own brand of resin.

So far I've printed camera adapters, scope rings, finder shoe, all work great so far (and look great in transparent green).

On 27/05/2020 at 10:38, vlaiv said:

I recently realized - I want one!

I mean 3d printer :D

Creality CR-10 V2, any thoughts on it being first / starter 3d printer?

Vlaiv

I have had a Creality CR-10 V2 for about 3 months and I would recommend it. If you look at the Ender 3 pro there are a few upgrades you would want to fit. Well the CR-10 V2 has them already fitted.

Motors seem quite so no motherboard upgrade.

BLTouch auto-leveling sensor.

All-metal feeder assembly.

Capricorn Bowden PTFE Tubing.

Extra bed area is good but I certainly don't need all that height. I don't think I could wait that long for a tall print to complete.

I did look at the Prusa i3 Mk2 but for the extra cost and looking at how much use it would get I compromised on the CR-10 V2

3d printers are not plug and play (at least not consumer printers) It takes a bit of experiment and lost prints but it is quite satisfying to draw a part and then print. You wont know which project to do next

I`m trying to get up the courage to start on a Lowspec spectroscope🙂

Graham

• Thanks 1