Eastern Veil Nebula

gonzostar

Hello 

This is my version of the Eastern Veil  nebula.  This image is cropped. Could only mage 8 hours  worth of Data over a few nights 

Telescope - 102mm APO ES refractor on a AVX mount

Camera- Canon 70d unmoded iso800 with a IDAS-D2 filter.  

Duration  8hours - 300s lights., Darks, flats and bias frames also taken

Guided with PHD2 and processed in PS

Of course improvement advice much appreciated :) I have also attached the Tiff file if anyone would like ago

7hr45.tif

7hr45ver3.thumb.jpg.ce77b42869cfd3c21b3b4b8788e6e553.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dean

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, gonzostar said:

I certainly like this one. What software did you use?

PixInsight.

Your data made it much easier for me than what I’m used to. I’m not familiar with PS so can’t advise.

In PI, apart from stretching I just created a mask so I could darken the background a tad. A mask for the nebula to increase the detail a bit and a star mask so I could increase the star colour a bit, (probably could have done a bit more to that). And a bit of curves for contrast.

9 hours ago, gonzostar said:

Thanks for having ago.  Like it. Dave you have certainly made the finer detail more clearer. Would it be worth doing more light frames?

Cheers

Dean

There is a saying that you can never have too many light frames but there does come a point where the returns are so small its not worth it.  I think you have good detail but thats only IMHO.

8 hours ago, gonzostar said:

Although do like Dave's background colour. How did he do that? ?

I simply used the Curves Transformation Tool in PI.  Quite a few image processing apps have a curves tool.

20 hours ago, Scooot said:

PixInsight.

Your data made it much easier for me than what I’m used to. I’m not familiar with PS so can’t advise.

In PI, apart from stretching I just created a mask so I could darken the background a tad. A mask for the nebula to increase the detail a bit and a star mask so I could increase the star colour a bit, (probably could have done a bit more to that). And a bit of curves for contrast.

Thanks Richard will look into Pixinsight. Looks worth the investment, but complicated?

16 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Looks great.. the higher contrast look is a bit more striking, but your original has that look of what one "would expect" to see with our eyes out of a space ship.... realistic is what I'm trying to say..

Thanks Mars 676 I am trying to go the realistic root, but like the contrast of the other images. What i like though is other peoples interpretations of what a object mat look like. Could well be orange with purple spots! :) 

Thanks for the opportunity to process your capture. Normally I process brightness/colour balance to some extent in DSS before using GIMP, so I was surprised to see a relatively black sky without sign of the nebula!

Anyway, I enjoyed attempting to process your image in GIMP. Perhaps a rather overdone effort, but at least I like it!

7hr45.jpg

1 hour ago, gonzostar said:

Thanks Richard will look into Pixinsight. Looks worth the investment, but complicated?

I’m still very much a novice. It has taken me a while to get to grips with the basics but now I have I like it. I’m not sure complicated is the correct description but it is certainly very different to other software. There are lots of tutorials to assist and at first I found myself blindly following them. After a while however it all begins to make sense so now I have a good idea of how much more there is still to learn. :) 

The free trial is worth trying but before you download it make sure you give yourself plenty of time to make use of the trial period.

1 hour ago, gonzostar said:

Thanks Mars 676 I am trying to go the realistic root, but like the contrast of the other images. What i like though is other peoples interpretations of what a object mat look like. Could well be orange with purple spots!

You did ask.  Just messing its cloudy outside again ?

mygo2.jpg

29 minutes ago, bobro said:

Thanks for the opportunity to process your capture. Normally I process brightness/colour balance to some extent in DSS before using GIMP, so I was surprised to see a relatively black sky without sign of the nebula!

Anyway, I enjoyed attempting to process your image in GIMP. Perhaps a rather overdone effort, but at least I like it!

7hr45.jpg

Wow, thats cool i see you manged to pick out some fainter nebula 

Cheers

Dean

22 minutes ago, Scooot said:

I’m still very much a novice. It has taken me a while to get to grips with the basics but now I have I like it. I’m not sure complicated is the correct description but it is certainly very different to other software. There are lots of tutorials to assist and at first I found myself blindly following them. After a while however it all begins to make sense so now I have a good idea of how much more there is still to learn. :) 

The free trial is worth trying but before you download it make sure you give yourself plenty of time to make use of the trial period.

Okay i am going to start some background research ?

Archived