Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which dob?

Whilst it would no doubt nice to look through something larger I'm glad I went for the 8" flex-tube.  I only keep it in the porch behind the door about 20 yards from where I use it, but already I don't use it as much as I should - I think a 10" would be that bit heavier that I'd be even less inclined to get it outside and use it.  Like everyone says, the best telescope for you is the one that you are going to use.  This is my 8" one:

20170315_205348.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JOC said:

Whilst it would no doubt nice to look through something larger I'm glad I went for the 8" flex-tube.  I only keep it in the porch behind the door about 20 yards from where I use it, but already I don't use it as much as I should - I think a 10" would be that bit heavier that I'd be even less inclined to get it outside and use it.  Like everyone says, the best telescope for you is the one that you are going to use.  This is my 8" one:

20170315_205348.jpg

Thanks for the picture, yeah after saying about the 10 inch not sure now becuase of the weight. Decisions!

9 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Good choice!  I have several EPs - see signature.  The main ones I use with the Bresser at least are: 

36mm Hyperion Aspheric, 20mm Meade 5000 UWA (discontinued), 11mm 82 deg Explore Scientific ( a good range of EPs), ditto 8.8mm and 6.7mm - and occasionally a 5mm Celestron XCel LX and a 4mm Skywatcher Nirvana.

A UHC filter is a good extra!

Doug.

Thanks Doug, i am on my mobile so didnt see your sig, sorry :)

If its any help storage wise that 8" when collapsed and sitting vertically on its base takes up about as much room as a dining chair that isn't under the table. 

I've got a goto driven base on that one.  The base is relatively heavy and a bit awkward to pick up and shift - I'm 5'8" and fairly strong, but it's sufficiently awkwardly circular to make lifting it by its two handles and holding it in front of me something I would not want to carry much beyond 20-30m before putting it down.  You can carry it to the side of you by one handle, but then it's just too big and bangs into your legs - it's heavier than you might imagine with the motor inside it.  As others have said its a 30 second doddle to take the OTA on and off the base - that bit is not an issue (you might want a blanket handy if you have to set it down on gravel as I might have to to stop stratches, but I normally leave the OTA inside and do the base first then I just dump the OTA straight in its slots when I arrive with it.  

The OTA folded is a doddle to shift in comparison.  I move it in its collapsed state.  Folded down it is just a nice width to pick it up under the convenient lips that exist at end of the tube and it is no appreciable weight to carry.  

I have shifted it as a joined together unit, but it is all I can do to lift the weight and awkwardness all together.  My son and I can shift it one on each side using the provided handles and this is a doable carry with two people involved.  On my own it is incredibly short distances only.

I find that with the 8" I can fit both pieces in the boot of an Octavia estate if that's any guide, but car size vs. telescope is a consideration if you plan to take it elsewhere as I know other folks do.

With a solid tube dob just fit a carry handle and it’s then easy to carry the tube one handed. Also fit a small handle near the top to make it easy to carry vertically down stairs or through a doorway.

F84A527A-2007-4841-9508-709C6619C3C4.jpeg

Carry handles also also work with bigger dobs. 12” Skywatcher on the left.  ?

CF5F3AEF-1A4B-4FDA-973B-485BEE312E38.jpeg

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

With a solid tube dob just fit a carry handle and it’s then easy to carry the tube one handed. Also fit a small handle near the top to make it easy to carry vertically down stairs or through a doorway.

F84A527A-2007-4841-9508-709C6619C3C4.jpeg

Thanks john, Thos handles look like a great idea how did you fit them?  And what size dob is that? 

The 10" dob tubes are the same physical length as the 8" ones because the focal length of the scopes are the same (1200mm). It's just that the 10" tube is fatter and a bit heavier.

post-118-0-47241100-1357432834.jpg.744344275806dc3066c95b1b142265fe.jpg

5 minutes ago, Olli said:

Thanks john, Thos handles look like a great idea how did you fit them?  And what size dob is that? 

Just bolted through the tube wall. Use a big penny washers on the inside and touch up with matt black paint. 8” dob.

Loads of handles here.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/categories/70/handles/

Don't worry about handling a 10" Dob, Olli!  Handles are a good idea, but with mine, I put my left arm under the upper body, and right hand under the lower edge.  As long as you're careful (especially with steps, doorways), it's not too heavy or awkward.  And it slots easily into and out of the mount.  But as I said, I'm glad I didn't get a 12"!

Doug.

Thanks all for the advice. I think im going to get the 8 inch dob just because i think the 10 inch might be a bit of a struggle for me. Just hope i wont regret not getting the 10 inch!

On 21/08/2018 at 18:28, johninderby said:

Permanent handles are more secure and don’t slide and as mentioned let you carry the tube vertically.

10” dob with carry handles. I converted a flex tube into a solid tube.

09BEF69D-7C9E-4379-862A-08FEBAA4E39D.jpeg

Just noticed that it has wheels.. How did you fit them on?

Just bolted through the base with a countersunk bolt or you could get the castors with a flat plate that screws on with four screws from the bottom. Just make sure you use locking castors otherwise the scope will roll away.

There have been a few other mods to this base including a lazy Susan turntable in the middle.

E9DE9EDA-9622-4559-A49B-3605C387D358.jpeg

Having previously owned 8” and 10” skywatcher dobsonians , I personally felt the 8” was better value . More forgiving on eyepieces , slightly easier to shift about and obviously cheaper . 

But importantly, to my eyes ( admittedly novice ones ) 

the difference visually is very slight indeed , often I couldn’t tell any difference.

Im hoping to jump back in to visual astronomy soon and will be looking at an 8” dob .which particular make is another dilemma , although the bressers look the mutts . 

If I were to go for something of real improvement visually from that ,I’d skip 10” and jump to 12”

16 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just bolted through the base with a countersunk bolt or you could get the castors with a flat plate that screws on with four screws from the bottom. Just make sure you use locking castors otherwise the scope will roll away.

There have been a few other mods to this base including a lazy Susan turntable in the middle.

E9DE9EDA-9622-4559-A49B-3605C387D358.jpeg

How much of an improvement is the lazy Susan over the standard bolt through the centre? 

I notice that the wheels are on a goto Dob base above - do you lock the wheels when you have it where you want it?  I can just imagine that they might interfere with the Goto movements of the Dob itself also do they create any vibration?

5 minutes ago, rory said:

Having previously owned 8” and 10” skywatcher dobsonians , I personally felt the 8” was better value . More forgiving on eyepieces , slightly easier to shift about and obviously cheaper . 

But importantly, to my eyes ( admittedly novice ones ) 

the difference visually is very slight indeed , often I couldn’t tell any difference.

Im hoping to jump back in to visual astronomy soon and will be looking at an 8” dob .which particular make is another dilemma , although the bressers look the mutts . 

If I were to go for something of real improvement visually from that ,I’d skip 10” and jump to 12”

Thanks, i have been looking at the 12s as well ( not sure why!) if i did get a 12 it would have to be in a permanent position.

5 minutes ago, Olli said:

Thanks, i have been looking at the 12s as well ( not sure why!) if i did get a 12 it would have to be in a permanent position.

The improvement from 130 to 200 

is significant, so in answer to you question. No I doubt you’d be disappointed.

saving made from purchasing 8” over 10 “ , could be used to bang on a telrad or a fancy eyepiece .

Although others will tell you ...

Aperture is king ?

Yes the castors are locked when using the scope and vibration was not a problem although decent castors were used.

For a bigger dob used castors with a foot that could be lowered making it rock solid and also acting as anti-vibration pads. Also allowed for levelling the scope. Downside....100 quid for three of them.

53CB789D-F2BD-4925-8AAD-08412915795A.jpeg

18669A33-D341-4038-B989-2BD8B868CE3B.jpeg

8D8E7D35-C7CF-4403-BFDC-E2EACD73CB07.jpeg

I have owned 5", 6", 8", 10" and 12" scopes - the 10" and 12" have been Dobs. I currently have a 12" Dob and I have made many modifications to it mainly for moving about. Being over 70 these Mods allow me to easily carry the 12" in two parts. Have a look at the attached photo. I have fitted two handles to the wooden base (kept separate from the OTA). The OTA has three handles - 2 at the top for lifting vertically and the third for carrying about 30 metres down the garden. Once assembled I can move the whole scope then lock the castors into position.

Personally if you don't need to carry the scopes down stairs I would get the 10".  Most of the DSO objects listed in my signature were seen with a 10" Dob.

12 Revelation.jpg

Archived