NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where do you buy second-hand scopes?

emadmoussa

Probably a silly question... 

I used Astro Buy Sell repeatedly.  However, I'm currently struggling to find a Meade 12" SCT  or something similar (the available ones are either too old or not ACF). Are there other places where I can find second-hand astro kit? Are these scopes difficult to come by as second-hand? 

UK Astro Buy & Sell is by far the best resource I've found.

Some dealers are now doing pre-owned / returned scopes as well but their pricing tends to be higher than a private sale.

I have bought some nice scopes from e.bay believe it or not but I've done plenty of research beforehand and pick the scope up in person.

Meade 12" SCT's do crop up quite often but there is a sort of "sods law" that you can't see them when you are specifically looking. A carefully worded "wanted" advert can sometimes turn up some results.

And Sod's law is everything that represents me :)  I was buying a 12" Meade SCT from a member on SGL, but due to logistical difficulties, the sale has fallen through. It's neither his fault nor mine. 

I've already posted a 'wanted' ad on both SGL and ABS.  

Three scopes purchased through ebay, as John remarked some scrutiny in communicating with seller before committing, but only one was I able to collect in person. Two through ABS, again focused communication beforehand, another two had been purchased new. ENS Optics, a link through ABS, stock a few Meade SCT's, may be worth inquiring if they are due to obtain any.

I purchased my TeleVue Ranger, (it was six months old), from a dealer, (now gone), from a dealer/showroom in Farnborough, Hampshire, during 1998. My Meade ETX105 & Celestron C6/XLT purchased via ebay. I would not purchase a 'scope from ebay now, unless I could have a look at it before buying and handing over my £.S.d ...£ & p.

My 3rd party accessories ...either here on SGL or http://www.astrobuysell.com ...not to be confused with this one http://www.astrobuyandsell.co.uk

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Not the cheapest perhaps but sell scopes that are in top condition. Bought a scope and other bits that were like new.

http://ensoptical.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_59

Yes, I talked to them. The Meade SCT's they've got are probably too old. I'm talking at least 6-7 years old. 

It might be worth checking the cloudy nights site which has a classified section ?

Although most items advertised are in the US, there are scopes advertised as located in the UK ;  which is how I was able to finally acquire a Telementor.

Rother Valley Optics have recently started selling a significant amount of used equipment and have a couple of Meade 8" SCTs on their list at the moment. It might be worth registering your interest in a 12" in case they come across one. I think most of the second-hand stuff they sell is from trade-ins against new scopes but it all looks to be in great condition from what I have seen when visiting the shop.

Archived