NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

StarSense on AZ-GTi

Bigwings

Does anyone run their AZ-GTi using StarSense?

Considering it and have some questions.

1. Can the mount still operate on WiFi

2 .How does the mount get time and location data.

3. Can I run SkySafari 5 plus?

Thanks for any advice offered.

11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Does the blurb for starsense say which mounts it will work with?

Looking on first light optics which list the compatible mounts the az-gti isn't included, the mounts are all Celstron.

The Skywatcher version of Starsense does not include the AZ-GTi as a compatible mount.

Ah found that flavour.

However the Skywatcher version does say compatible with az synscan compatible mounts. As the az-gti can use a synscan handset then it does sound possible. But I would check with a reseller before spending any money to make sure and answer the other questions.

• 2 months later...

I have this setup (starsense for skywatcher) and it works with the AZ-Gti

Time and location come from a Celestron gps unit

Power supply is important in order to limit “freezes”. I use a 12v 2.5 A mains adapter. 

Wifi stil works, but it is either using starsense, or the sw app, so in essence when you use starsense, the WiFi is useless  

in my location there are a lot of obstructions, so starsense automatic align does not always work, but when it does, it’s magic  

I have been playing with starsense user allign, but not enough to get consistently good results  

Be be aware that you will need a skywatcher handset cable to link the starsense to the Az-gti that is not supplied with mount nor starsense  

i made one myself, but I think you can buy one here https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az-goto-synscan-handset-cable.html

• 3 months later...

Archived