SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guidescope and platesolving or Starsense?

Hi everyone,

I've got a C8 SC on a HEQ5 (Orion Sirius) and I use it visually. I plan to use it for EAA as well, as soon as I get a decent camera. Therefore, I'm trying to decide with which of these options I should go:

1. Guidescope with cheap asi camera and platesolving

2. Celestron star sense module

3. A decent camera for the C8 itself and platesolving

I have a budget of about 1000€ to spend.

Which option would you go for and which camera(s) would you pick?

I really do appreciate your help and opinions!

It's number 3 from me!

What version do you have.. if it's a XLT there's no point going above 4/3rds in size.. if it's a edge then that can increase to APS-C... You will need a reducer and personally I'd  vouch for a oag...

Cameras are a personal thing but having the bigger sized pixels helps 

• Like 1

I have tried using a C8 SCT (in the form of a CPC800) for EAA.  I used a Celestron f6.3 focal reducer (probably essential) and an ASI224MC camera (because I had one).  Targets were in the main planetary nebulae, which I located using Celestron's 'precise goto' and the view on screen.  Got some good images. I tried platesolving on one occasion with this setup and it worked.

I never got anything good without the focal reducer and using a flip mirror diagonal.

A larger chip astro camera would no doubt be advantageous.

I should point out that I do most of my EAA with a 102mm f5 achomat, the ASI224MC and a EQ-5 Synscan, finding the targets via plate-solving.  

I do not recommend the Celestron Starsense (handset & camera) for EAA.

16 hours ago, Tom84 said:

Thank you for your answer! It's a 2022 XLT, not an edge.  What camera would you recommend?

I guess that prioritise what you plan to do initially, I don't personally use the EAA  but I know this guy Luke promotes EAA with Player one cameras... https://youtu.be/ADYdWiDfeZ8

Edited by newbie alert
Damn phone

I'd say 1 & 3 together.

The Celestron Starsense, even if you could find the Skywatcher version, will only help with alignments & goto (via an app as well as handset)

But with a decent camera (option 3) the data for stacking will be better, and the guide camera (option 2) will help wth PA and guiding of course. Stacking is better if guided.

You will also need to consider how you will view the EA images so will likely need a computer & software.

17 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

and the guide camera (option 2) will help wth PA and guiding of course. Stacking is better if guided.

The 8" SCT I use sometimes for EAA is on an alt-azimuth GoTo mount. The live stacking in Sharpcap compensates for field rotation, etc to a remarkable extent. Definitely no need for guiding.

On 17/12/2022 at 10:21, Cosmic Geoff said:

Definitely no need for guiding.

I will second that.

On 15/12/2022 at 20:05, Tom84 said:

1. Guidescope with cheap asi camera and platesolving

2. Celestron star sense module

3. A decent camera for the C8 itself and platesolving

I would go for option 3 as this will let you do EAA and get some decent images as well. Platesolving is easily setup and as you have the HEQ5 you have the tracking and goto abilities all ready to go. If you are not already controlling the mount via a PC then I recommend you do that. Makes it a lot easier when combined with platesolving. Most of the the software is free anyway.

Option 1 is needed only if you are planning long exposures over 1min. I can get upto a min on my HEQ5 without guiding (if my PA is good). EDIT: Option 3 will help improve your PA as well (software like Sharpcap, NINA & Kstars help you do that).
You could always add the guidescope at a later point in time.

Edited by AstroMuni