Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 6 SC Telescope or StarSense 102AZ Refractor

I'm looking to get a starsense telescope as I'm having difficulty finding anything with binoculars/monocular I have.

So I'm hoping to get a starter scope which can show me a little of everything, and something to help guide me along the way, but not reliant on motorised mount.

It sounds like a StarSense scope would  be ideal, but have some concerns and also need a little advice.

The first question is about phone compatibility, probably a question for someone with on of these scopes:

1. I've downloaded the StarSense app, and it tells me that the software is compatible with my phone, but the celestron site doesnt list my phone in the compatibility list.

I'm not sure if this is down to the physical location of the camera, on my phone it's on the left hand side of the back of the phone.  Could anyone confirm they have one of these scopes and it works for them with the camera in same position on phone?

The next question is about which scope to go for.

2. Ideally I want something lightweight, easy to setup, easy to transport, but I dont want to go for a lighter option if its giving away a lot of performance.  I'll be observing in bortle 4 skies for the most part.

So the three scopes I'm thinking about are:

StarSense Explorer DX 5
StarSense Explorer DX6
StarSense Explorer DX 102az

Just want to ask if there would be a lot of difference in performance between these 3, particularly between the refractor and the SC models.

I'm leaning towards getting the DX6, but if the performance between it and the other two isn't great will go with a lighter option.

Final question is around accessories.

3. Is their any point in getting a zoom lens with a barlow?

If I get an 8-24 zoom, then it just seems to me the barlow will only really be giving me a 4mm, and the zoom alread covers the range from 8 to 24, so wouldn't it be better to get the zoom and a 6mm lens (as 4mm seems too short for these scopes anyway).

So I'm thinking of getting these(not all at once), and no need for barlow: 6mm, 8-24 zoom, 32mm, 36mm 40mm, focal reducer.

Does this make sense or have I missed something?

Edited by GMFoods
Meant to say 6mm not 4
  • Like 1

I would go for the DX6 or the DX5 if you need to save some money for accessories. Regarding eyepieces and the zoom. Buy a good quality zoom like the Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm. This at 8mm will give you approx 187x. At the other end I wouldn’t get the 32, 36 and 40mm as the 36mm could be avoided. I have a telescope with the same focal length as the DX6 which is 1500mm I believe. I have a 32mm and a 40mm eyepiece but could easily get by with just either of them. Good luck with whatever direction you go in.

Thanks for the reply Bosun.

I'm going to go for the DX6 after more reading.

Will get it with the baader hyperion zoom you suggested as it seems like a good quality piece, and the option to use it with 1.25 or 2 inch star diagonal makes it a good option for potential future upgrades if I want a larger aperture dob in future.

Is there any point getting lenses beyond 40mm, not sure how to work out what max size is useful for DX6.

31 minutes ago, GMFoods said:

Thanks for the reply Bosun.

I'm going to go for the DX6 after more reading.

Will get it with the baader hyperion zoom you suggested as it seems like a good quality piece, and the option to use it with 1.25 or 2 inch star diagonal makes it a good option for potential future upgrades if I want a larger aperture dob in future.

Is there any point getting lenses beyond 40mm, not sure how to work out what max size is useful for DX6.

Good choices, regarding the low power eyepiece I personally would go for just buying either a 32 or the 40mm. The amount of sky you will see will be virtually identical due to the limitations of them being 1.25” eyepieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to go for the DX5 in the end, thinking I'll be more likely to use it and can always buy bigger later.  Will order this when FLO have it back in stock.

A video where Ed Ting compared a 5 inch CST to a 6 inch CST was a game changer as the 6 inch looked much bigger than I'd thought.

Also read a few comments about the tripod not being very good with the heavier scope.

Have already bought the Baader zoom to go with it, and it'll do until I pick up a 32mm and a 5 or 6 mm later.

If anyone's still following this thread, could you please recommend a dew Shield as I can't find a celestron branded one for the 5 inch scope.