SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Main lens replacement 10x50

Vulisha

Hi, I have very old binoculars, older than me, but since one lens is broken, i have monocular :D

I would like to replace broken lens but not sure where, and what type to get since there is so little information online about scope. 

Specifications: 

10X50

FOV:85m at 1000m

Made in Japan

And that is all I know ? Any hope for this binos?

s-l1000.jpg

Yo need to get the right focal length and diameter lens. Best way seems to buy another broken pair for parts. 

What do those curly letters spell? Is it 'weltbl--', vretbl--' or what?

No, that won't work, but there are still Weltblicks around. Here's another one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/253776370006 (expensive so it might still be available)

If you google for weltblick fernglas 10x50 85 you'll find German results on top, if you leave out 'fernglas' results will be mixed, but most are German anyway.
Maybe you could set up a google alert to get a notification as soon as another one is advertised (at least that's how I imagine these alerts work - I never tried them).

You can't determine the focal length from the fov, the eyepieces play a role in that. There are methods though: see here.

While you have the undamaged objective lens out, check its diameter. You don't want the replacement lens to turn out wider and not fit.

I'm not sure at what  difference between the focal lengths of the objectives things start to go wrong, but your measurements will not be exact, so repeat them several times and see how much of a spread you get in the results.

It might be a better idea to replace both lenses. You'd have a good match then, and nice coatings on both. Or get new binoculars. How about that?

I’ve picjed up a number of quite good very old porros off eBay recently. I’d be tempted to wave them goodbye and get a replacement. Short of finding an exact replacement it is highly unlikely to word unfortunately.

PEter

On 06/08/2018 at 13:42, Vulisha said:

Yeah, but that one is 7X50 ? my guess  is that won't work, or maybe it will? I am not so good with lenses :p

I wouldn't be so sure of that. As Peter has said, the difference in binocs of the same objective size from the same manufacturer is usually in the eyepieces. If the prism housings and objective tube lengths look the same in the 7x50 and yours (impossible to tell from the pics you posted), it might be worth giving it a try. But my instinct is that it would be simpler to source a completely new binocular - I think you'd have the dubious delights of learning eccentric ring collimation as part of the process. ?

I'd consign them to the attic and buy a new set of bins. Newer 10x50 bins are much lighter than the oldies. I had an old set of Airport (yes, that very well known brand) 10x50 and they were heavy. I had them for 30+yrs (they were secondhand when my dad bought them). I sold them a few yrs ago to a collector of bins, whom i met in an auction house.

+1 for a new set.  Too much hasel trying to get the replacement parts. 

If you haven't looked through a new pair for a while you will be pleasently surprised at how crisp they are now - even a pair of Tasco Zips 

If you take the good objective and it's barrel, find a really cheap mirror diagonal, (perhaps even from a "toytown" scope) & connect them with a short

length of black plastic plumbing pipe of appropriate diameter you can create a fine 10 x  50 right-angle finder for very little cost from the ruins of your

Weltblicks & they will not have died in vain.

I don't know, they have emotional value and long long story, they were my late dads and late grampas, so I will be keeping them, fixed or not fixed, i didn't think lens would be so hard to find, but that is fine.

Btw.  lens was broken way before I was even born :D

I was planing on buying new binos, celestron 15x70 or 25x70, but decided that telescope is first

Archived