SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGP Framing Mosaic Wizard not working

symmetal

The wizard returns a blank 'Error' when fetching the image. There are reports on the SGP forum of this and it seems SGP is not handling the image response from NASA properly. Pasting the failed image request listed in the error log into a web browser returns the image OK. It seems the format might have changed such that SGP doesn't accept it. No response from the developers yet.

Alan

I am so pleased to read these posts!!

I am a total beginner at using SGP and I experienced exactly the same behaviour yesterday - a very uninformative error message. Naturally I assumed that this was me doing something daft. I spent hours uninstalling, reinstalling, watching Jared's you tube video, etc.

And then - IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!

Phew,

Hugh

• Like 1

I've seen on the SPG forum, a workaround using CDC\Stellarium images, long winded & not as easy, but as needs must....

Personally I just enter the MEAN J2000 target RA\DEC numbers, slew to target & then Platesolve, touch wood, no issues yet...

Up until yesterday neither had I. Have you tried it in the last 24 hrs Steve? There's a lot of posts on the SGP forum reporting the same problem. Still no response from the developers. :sad2:

Alan

Edited by symmetal

If the frame/mosaic images are in your cache  from previous requests  it works OK. Have you tried it from a new target? If it works for you, you could charge people 5p a go to get the cache images for them. :evil62:

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Ken & Jared  (developers) have responded apologising for the late reply but they've been away with limited web access. Ken has said he's fixed the problem and should release a patch later today. :blob10:The problem was an upgrade made to the Skyview servers.

Alan

Thanks guys, wasted a couple of hours this morning trying to attach the crescent nebula without success then found this thread and hey presto all solved with the update.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Is anyone having issues with Framing and Mosaic Wizard in SGP? Could not get it working last night, still not working, not sure if I've broken something or there is a remote server that's not working causing the error. It finds the RA/DEC for searching for an object but after a long time pops-up a message "Error!  Failed". Any ideas much appreciated. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Is anyone having issues with Framing and Mosaic Wizard in SGP? Could not get it working last night, still not working, not sure if I've broken something or there is a remote server that's not working causing the error. It finds the RA/DEC for searching for an object but after a long time pops-up a message "Error!  Failed". Any ideas much appreciated. 

Ah! so last night was my first night using SGP for real and this didn’t work for me either. It did bring up an image of HH I had the previously tested out last week. I set up a trial mosaic run and half way through the night it crashed. Not impressed with SGP to be honest. 

• Like 1

Just tried it and same here. :frown: Looks like the remote image server isn't working. A similar thing happened a year or so ago when the server changed the search string format slightly leading to the same problem. SGP developers then released a program patch to fix it.

Alan

Thouight this was a new thread so my reply saying this happened previously was a bit redundant. :smile:

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1

Yes, it will bring up images it's already found for me too but nothing new. I've never known if fail before but a quick google suggests it might not be SGP but a service its using. I can't find much info on it. Platesolve itself seemed to work fine last night though. 
I love SGP, its just got a nice standard windows interface, learning something like APT I find daunting mostly as the user interface seems really odd and unfamiliar. I just wish SGP would implement multi-camera dithering.  It's generally stable for me. I crashed for first time during the night last week but I think it was my PC that locked up rather than SGP as it's done it a few times during the day when not using SGP. 

1 minute ago, symmetal said:

Just tried it and same here. :frown: Looks like the remote image server isn't working. A similar thing happened a year or so ago when the server changed the search string format slightly leading to the same problem. SGP developers then released a program patch to fix it.

Alan

Brilliant thanks, I was thinking of un-installing and re-installing so will hold off that

This is posted on the SGP forum and it is a server problem. Ken the deleloper of SGP has posted that they were looking at  changing the source of images from Aladin/HIPS to Skyview, but Skyview is not so versatile. A beta release of SGP 3.1 has just been released with changes to the wizard.

changes-to-mosaic-and-framing-wizard-in-3-1

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Yes, it will bring up images it's already found for me too but nothing new. I've never known if fail before but a quick google suggests it might not be SGP but a service its using. I can't find much info on it. Platesolve itself seemed to work fine last night though. 
I love SGP, its just got a nice standard windows interface, learning something like APT I find daunting mostly as the user interface seems really odd and unfamiliar. I just wish SGP would implement multi-camera dithering.  It's generally stable for me. I crashed for first time during the night last week but I think it was my PC that locked up rather than SGP as it's done it a few times during the day when not using SGP. 

I found it a bit convoluted to get a seqeunce set up, APT seemed simpler to begin with.  I will try it again.  How accurate is the platesolving??  It worked ok for the first two panels, after initially it failed to get within 20px on 4 attempts, so I had to set it to 50px.  It then failed to platesolve the third panel, then became unresponsive.   I use the same catalogues with APT, and it gets within 10 or less px, in 2 goes.  Sorry for the rant!

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I found it a bit convoluted to get a seqeunce set up, APT seemed simpler to begin with.  I will try it again.  How accurate is the platesolving??  It worked ok for the first two panels, after initially it failed to get within 20px on 4 attempts, so I had to set it to 50px.  It then failed to platesolve the third panel, then became unresponsive.   I use the same catalogues with APT, and it gets within 10 or less px, in 2 goes.  Sorry for the rant!

SGP gets me within 10 pixels within 2 or 3 goes, often within 2 or 3 pixels. If it refuses to get any closer to your requested distance, clearing out the pointing data in Eqmod usually solves it.

Alan

• Like 1

That's interesting, I must make the effort and take a serious look at APT.  At the moment I don't want to potentially waste a (very rare) clear night trying problem solve all the things I'll almost certainly get wrong with APT. 

I'm not as accurate - I set plate solving to 50px. Occasionally it fails to be that accurate but I've always put it down to my setup with cables hanging all over.  It usually takes 3 or 4 attempts but is certainly accurate enough for my needs. I've never done a multi-plate image before so I can't comment on that.