NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGP Framing Mosaic Wizard not working

symmetal

11 minutes ago, symmetal said:

SGP gets me within 10 pixels within 2 or 3 goes, often within 2 or 3 pixels. If it refuses to get any closer to your requested distance, clearing out the pointing data in Eqmod usually solves it.

Alan

Funny I checked that EQMOD pointing data last week and it was at zero.  I'll have a look at that again next night it's clear.  It's a shame as APT gets me, like you with SGP, often to within 1 px after 3 attempts.

13 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

That's interesting, I must make the effort and take a serious look at APT.  At the moment I don't want to potentially waste a (very rare) clear night trying problem solve all the things I'll almost certainly get wrong with APT. 

I'm not as accurate - I set plate solving to 50px. Occasionally it fails to be that accurate but I've always put it down to my setup with cables hanging all over.  It usually takes 3 or 4 attempts but is certainly accurate enough for my needs. I've never done a multi-plate image before so I can't comment on that. 

The mosaic wizard and the autofocusing routine are my main reason for moving to APT to SGP.  Otherwise APT seems to cover the bases pretty well.

• Like 1

Tried the framing wizard last night and it was all working again. :smile:

Also tried the new 3.1 beta version of SGP and the framing/mosaic wizard is in colour now. Much easier to see the results compared to the old low contrast  B/W images. It also returned the results faster too. :thumbright:

1317888975_SGP3.1beta.png.7777cf7e1b5dbd7fc458a69fd2cde1dd.png

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the 45 day trial, I'm down to 30 days now and still without an image  keeps flagging up errors which are probrably my fault, the framing wizard likes to show m45 on most targets .. I'm glad now I didn't just buy it as missing out on rare clear nights just because of software really does grind my patients.. my fl, pixels scale etc are correct, the path to the platesolve and image storage is also correct but something is stopping it from working..am I happy..no...Will I buy it...definately not..it's not worth 7 years worth of APT,  and NINA will do the same framing for free...  it should come with a setup wizard ..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2019 at 13:54, symmetal said:

SGP gets me within 10 pixels within 2 or 3 goes, often within 2 or 3 pixels. If it refuses to get any closer to your requested distance, clearing out the pointing data in Eqmod usually solves it.

Alan

I've been trailing SGP this evening, and again not getting it to platesolve.  Repeatedly it's coming back at over 50px, and I have my threshold set to 50px.  Despite 5 attempts it just doesnt move.

THEN....

spotted a missing value - I hadnt entered a length in the 'Scope focal length' box.  I set it to 500mm, and instantly straight to 2px off target.  

All appears to be working well now.

image.thumb.png.74a20b248461ed387c6d87005819f2c0.png 

34 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

spotted a missing value - I hadnt entered a length in the 'Scope focal length' box.  I set it to 500mm, and instantly straight to 2px off target.  

All appears to be working well now.

In the past the Scope focal length setting had no effect on the program operation and was just used as an entry in the fits header. The image scale set on the camera tab was all SGP needed to know. Maybe something's changed now. As long as it's working again now, is all that matters. :smile:

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...