Blood moon and Mars over Melbourne, Australia

Like half the world we were treated to a lunar eclipse and a Mars opposition this morning. It was spectacular! I was hoping to get the actual moon set as a blood moon but the light pollution of a 3.5 million city and a sunrise did its best to ruin this idea. Shortly after this shot the moon became invisible. Still, having the eclipse over the city lights made getting up early on a weekend worthwhile! Pentax K-30, 70-300mm lens @70mm, 3second exposure ISO800.

1971312372_BloodmoonandMarsoverMelbourne28Jul18.thumb.jpg.7a1321d42a820935273c549ed07bd63a.jpg

Clear  skies!

HJ

Just now, symmetal said:

Great image. The clouds enhance the composition.:smile:

Alan

Thanks! I agree, I have a few images without clouds and decided to post this one.

5 hours ago, VNA said:

Gorgeous--thank you for sharing--was on the wrong half of the world!

Can't always win. The US had the solar eclipse last year - gosh I was jealous!

11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Lovely image HJ, must be tricky taking pictures standing on your head :)

Dave

No challenge is too hard in this hobby :)

12 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Love it. I love the connection between Earth and space in it. Also the clouds. Clouds can be a good thing in astro images.

I would never have thought that the day would come where I say: "The clouds in an astro image look good." It's just not meant to be like this. And yet, this was the only image of the night with clouds and it was my favorite.

Archived