NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comets and Planets

kerrylewis

Got up at 1.30 after the moon had gone to try for the two visible comets. Firstly 21P/Giacobini-Zinner which I missed a few nights back. Clearly visible with the Tak, not bright but there especially with averted vision.

Waited for C/2017 S3 PANSTARRS to clear my birch tree and had a quick look at Uranus and Neptune. Nice small discs - Uranus looked particularly good with its greenish blue tinge, Neptune smaller and bluer.

Right  - S3 was now clear of the tree and it was an easy spot a few nights back. Where is it? At first  I thought my goto was out as there was nothing there. Checked nearby Capella and that was spot on so back to the Comet position. I had read that it had faded a little so I looked more carefully- it was there but barely visible and much dimmer. What a spectacular change! The comet has obviously dimmed as fast as it brightened. Averted vision helped but it was much dimmer than 21P. It will be interesting to watch this one for further changes.

By this time Mars had cleared the roof of the house opposite. Seeing not good but the polar cap was visible and  finally some dark detail which came and went with the seeing - a patch between the polar cap and the equator. The rest was featureless. Perhaps the dust storm is clearing as reported? But the disc is so big! Interesting to compare it with the tiny dots of Uranus and Neptune - gives a sense of scale to the solar system. 

That's strange Kerry, I imaged both comets last night and C/2017 S3 looked the brighter on the images, maybe it's a visual versus imaging thing as I didn't look at them through the eyepiece.

21P/GZ has brightened since last week.

Dave

59 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

That's strange Kerry, I imaged both comets last night and C/2017 S3 looked the brighter on the images, maybe it's a visual versus imaging thing as I didn't look at them through the eyepiece.

21P/GZ has brightened since last week.

Dave

It is strange Dave - beginning to doubt my own observations now ?

it would be good to get visual confirmation, or otherwise, from anyone else out last night 

41 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

it would be good to get visual confirmation, or otherwise, from anyone else out last night 

Don't think I'll have time to process them today but maybe this evening.

Dave

3 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

I has the sam experience last night, Kerry. C/2017 S3 was nowhere to be seen after being much brighter last Thursday. 21P on the other hand had brightened noticeably since Thursday. 

Great report btw :) 

Thank you Neil, that's interesting confirmation. I was wondering if I had got something wrong last night. Quite a dramatic change in S3 in just a few days, but good to see 21P brightening - perhaps it will continue.

I like comets ? 

3 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

So, it would seem that S3 has faded . Perhaps it will have another outburst. 

It will be interesting to see Dave’s photographs 

Sorry Kerry haven't had time to process them yet, mainly because I haven't taken any flats as I have to fit the light box on the end of the SCT which is a bit of a faff, will try harder today.

I imaged them both again last night and S3 appeared dimmer than the previous night but the conditions were worse so a job to tell, 21P/GZ was smaller but has a bright core so I guess integrated brightness would class it as the brighter of the two.

Dave

So this thread inspired me to do a bit of comet spotting this evening. With the near full moon my skies were a rubbish 17.6 sqm!! But 21P was clearly visible as a sort of smudged star with hints of a tail to one side.

Heres a phone pic (my first ever comet ??)

2B24A113-6910-4BC2-87DC-DF658318F590.thumb.jpeg.87cfab1c2ab734e471ecc141a88d2fd7.jpeg

Edit to self: this was with C11 and 55mm plossl, no reducer.

12 minutes ago, GavStar said:

So this thread inspired me to do a bit of comet spotting this evening. With the near full moon my skies were a rubbish 17.6 sqm!! But 21P was clearly visible as a sort of smudged star with hints of a tail to one side.

Heres a phone pic (my first ever comet ??)

2B24A113-6910-4BC2-87DC-DF658318F590.thumb.jpeg.87cfab1c2ab734e471ecc141a88d2fd7.jpeg

Great job, Gavin! Awesome photo. I’m taking a look at 21P at the moment. Seems fainter tonight with the bright moon. No sign of a tail with traditional EP. At least for me!

Archived