NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet and a challenge !

cotterless45

Small release from daytime heat and a mixed sky with sketchy cloud along the ecliptic. Saturn was detailed , taking x266.

Waiting for Mars , I had a shot at comet 21P Giacobini-Zinner, https://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=21P&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCTIMG_6122.thumb.JPG.451dde681d401b5da7ea5760412ade15.JPG

Light sky and a gibbous moon , I used a 13mm Nagler to give contrast . Focussing and there was the comet , set in a star field at the base of Cepheus. Going back to it a couple hours later and it's fast moving !

Pegasus and Andromeda were well up . A shot of the tight 1.2" 36 Andromedae, always a favourite tester . Lovely , bright and clean split equating to the distance between the Sun and Pluto. Had a look at the "blue snowball", NGC 7662, just a lovely colour at x50.

Turned to Mars which blinked in and out of the clouds. It wobbled with seeing and took an nd filter to close down the brightness. Couldn't make out any details, except a slightly darker strip down the disc that came and went with the seeing.

Clouds pulled the sky shut , pleased to have got the comet, under clear skies ! Nick.

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Started to set up at 11.30 just started to polar align when cloud rolled in gave up ?

Still trying catch the brighter comet just hope they are still about when I get a clear sky again.

Me and you both Paul, waited around until half past midnight for promised bit of clear sky that never materialised, only thing visible was Mars, so bright it shone through the clouds.

Dave

Archived