NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just like buses

Littleguy80

My Dad had babysat for us earlier in the evening and asked about seeing Mars. It was still a bit early for Mars but we went out anyway. Saturn was the first target of the night. Dad was happy to see the rings and Titan. At points I could pick out Cassini too. A hedgehog came to keep Dad and I company. It was still fairly light so I showed Dad some easier targets. The double double, split at 200x. M57, using an OIII to mak it stand out a little more. This always seem to be a favourite when I have guests. Time for some colour with Albireo. Dad was impressed with the blue secondary in particular and was interested to know why the stars were different colours. Mars was just starting to peak up above the roof tops. We stood for awhile and I pointed out some of the constellations as Mars rose. While Dad enjoyed Mars through the bins, I went and brought the scope around front. Using the Baader contrast booster for extra wow factor, I sat Dad down to see the red planet. The best moment was when I told him how to identify the polar ice cap. It's a mind boggling moment when you stop and think about what you're actually seeing.

It was getting late, so Dad decided to turn in. I got myself set up for some comet hunting. Comet Panstarrs C/2017 S3 turned out to be an easy find. Star hopping with the RACI finder and SkySafari put me in the right place. A quick look in the eyepiece and there it was! It would be easy to mistake it for a glob on the initial low power view. I increased magnification to 133x. It appearance was nebulous with a denser core. No tail that I saw. I heard Dad moving around inside so I called him out for a look too. He found it much easier to see at lower magnification. As I was looking through the eyepiece, Dad mentioned seeing a really bright satellite. I looked up...the ISS. I quickly grabbed the bins and handed them over to Dad who had fun chasing it. We shared some more views of the Comet before Dad headed back in.

After my success with Comet Panstarrs C/2017 S3, I decided to try for Comet 21/P Giacobini-Zinner. My star hopping lead to a small detour to take a look at the brilliant Garnet star. I do love a red giant! Comet 21/P was not immediately obvious in the eyepiece. After around 20 mins of carefully comparing star patterns against SkySafari, I spotted a faint fuzzy just below a star. A couple more minutes and I was able to verify that it was indeed Comet 21/P! Despite being less visually impressive, this was the more satisfying find. I even spent some time doing a basic sketch. Drawing is not one of my talents but I'm keen to improve my observing skills. As time went on, I found the comet much easier to see. After awhile I returned to Comet Panstarrs C/2017 S3 which was even clearer still now. A sign of improving transparency. I decided to take a look at the Veil and was surprised at how faint it was with the OIII filter. Perhaps the sky's weren't as good as I thought.

I decided it was time to pack up but not before one more look at Mars. The polar ice cap was easy to see and some suggestions of more detail but nothing that really stood out this time. As I was putting everything away, the ISS passed over again. This time it was my turn to chase it with the binoculars. Great fun. My little hedgehog friend came to bid me good night too. Before last night, I'd only seen Comet Johnson last year and then, just like buses, two turn up together! 

IMG_3685.thumb.JPG.ff71436c1cac0f68d42a441e1160e69b.JPGIMG_3680.thumb.JPG.4926b951026322db8bf987e5ea221495.JPG

Fab night Neil, lovely to share with your Dad.

I find it amazing when you see two passes of the ISS in one night, when you think it gets around the world in about 90 minutes!!

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fab night Neil, lovely to share with your Dad.

I find it amazing when you see two passes of the ISS in one night, when you think it gets around the world in about 90 minutes!!

Yes! I’ve marvelled at that myself. It’s even stranger when you watch the way the Earth seems to gently roll by on the ISS feed. Doesn’t seem like it’s going that fast.  

Brilliant report Neil. Things open up in a different way through wiser eyes ! Just a joy to be out there !

Our hedgehog pigs out on dried chicken cat food peanuts and mealworms. He spends ages at the bird water bath drinking . It's essential that they get a drink .

Enjoyed both passes of the ISS, but Mars over town just wasn't coming good. Let's hope for some clear skies ! Nick.

13 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Brilliant report Neil. Things open up in a different way through wiser eyes ! Just a joy to be out there !

Our hedgehog pigs out on dried chicken cat food peanuts and mealworms. He spends ages at the bird water bath drinking . It's essential that they get a drink .

Enjoyed both passes of the ISS, but Mars over town just wasn't coming good. Let's hope for some clear skies ! Nick.

Thanks Nick. I thought of you and your Hedgehog friend when the spiky little fella turned up :) 

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Yes! I’ve marvelled at that myself. It’s even stranger when you watch the way the Earth seems to gently roll by on the ISS feed. Doesn’t seem like it’s going that fast.  

One thing I’ve never had a proper answer to, is just why the ISS always seems to do overhead passes at this time of year. I often go camping late July or early August and it is always wonderful to watch. Or is it just that I’m looking more when I’m camping???

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

One thing I’ve never had a proper answer to, is just why the ISS always seems to do overhead passes at this time of year. I often go camping late July or early August and it is always wonderful to watch. Or is it just that I’m looking more when I’m camping???

I've been registered for the emails when it's due to pass over for several years. It definitely seems to follow a pattern in terms of the times of the year it passes over. It's normally around over Christmas too. It's fun to tell the kids it's Santa passing over because they've been too naughty ;) It is possible for them to change the path it takes though I'm not sure if that's only ever done for course correction. I always assumed it had a planned path that it follows.

I was curious to where the title would lead to. Very nice session again Neil and great to share with your Dad (and to an extent the nocturnal forager). The mix of familiar and new subject not just stimulating for yourself but good to experience the response of another.     

Archived