Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

They all look the same.

LukeSkywatcher

I had a visit yesterday by the community social worker.  She was admiring my Bresser ar 102 xs and said she likes to look at the night sky but doesnt know what she is looking at, and all the stars look the same.

I invited her round (when dark) to have a look through my scopes and give her a tour of the night sky.

She happily accepted my offer.

I think I have always tried to convince (Totally well meaning,
but underfunded) Health Workers: it is NOT my "Hobbies", I
need advice on, but reassurance / care... so I won't DIE? lol. ?

That said, I really DO think Astronomers can usefully advise re.
the idea that *fulfilling* HOBBIES can help a lot of people... ?

"They all look the same"   could be said of social workers - and I've known and worked with quite a few. Going way back you could once spot a social worker a mile off and many people did and disappeared or pretended not to be in. To correct that imbalanced view I've known some very very good ones too.  Well done Paul, good outreach work - "keep looking up" as Maggie says.

On 22/07/2018 at 01:48, Jeff-Colorado said:

I love Ireland and have been twice in the past 3 years. How are the skies in Kildare? Much light pollution?

I live a mile or so north of the main town of Maynooth (a University town). The LP most nights isnt bad at all. I can literally walk (wheel) 3-4 mins further north towards the Kildare/Meath border and i am in open countryside for miles around. Hard to say how dark the skies are there, but the darkest skies ive ever observed from.

On 22/07/2018 at 16:38, Gina said:

My experience of social workers has been excellent.

The only reason they call on me is because im disabled and now living alone. They just want to see how im doing and if there is anything they can do for me such as putting me in touch with disability groups etc.

Honest..................she isnt about to slap an ASBO on my behind.

My public health nurse makes all these visits. She sends me social workers, Occupational Therapists, Dieticians..........

Im too polite to refuse. They do come in useful now and again.

Send me a cleaner once a week..................................

I must say though that the medical social workers in the hospitals where Mum was, were BRILLIANT. They helps us fill out paperwork for mum to go into full time care etc. They couldnt do enough. They went above and beyond their job description and took mum out for 2-3 hrs shopping and a cup of tea.

6 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I live a mile or so north of the main town of Maynooth (a University town). The LP most nights isnt bad at all. I can literally walk (wheel) 3-4 mins further north towards the Kildare/Meath border and i am in open countryside for miles around. Hard to say how dark the skies are there, but the darkest skies ive ever observed from.

That's sounds lovely and you're not even that far from Dublin. On Google Maps, the area a mile north of Maynooth looks sparsely populated and very green.  :)

13 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I must say though that the medical social workers in the hospitals where Mum was, were BRILLIANT. They helps us fill out paperwork for mum to go into full time care etc. They couldnt do enough.

Yes, the hospital teams do a very good job.

Archived