NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi FC-100DF Focuser Upgrade

After taking sound advice from trusted members on both side of the house I decided to go for a compromise in upgrading the focuser on my FC-100DF so have now installed a Baader ClickLock clamp to the end of the focus tube and a FeatherTouch Micro-Pinion...

IMG_1209.jpg.af04d5a7b0f4bfea6f8cc99c027f3b04.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg.da01d279420442fee8a23cc336f42124.jpg

I'm very happy with this as it retains the iconic green focuser body but also feeds my obsession to rid the world of knurled screw fittings and to have the fine focus ability provided by the FeatherTouch dual-speed pinion :icon_cool:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, John said:

Very nice Derek - looks a really neat upgrade :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, John. I am happy I ended up with this after input from you and others in another thread as I would have been very sad to lose the Tak green from the OTA. I think this strikes a nice balance and I am also very happy with the Baader clamp. Every scope should have one ?

• Like 1

I have just used these upgrades for the first time and I am delighted with the result.

The FeatherTouch Micro-Pinion has a very smooth and positive action and the dual-speed gives excellent fine control.

As always, the ClickLock has a grip like gorilla and adds a comforting sense of security to the expensive things hanging off it :smile: 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Pleased to hear it, Derek!

Thanks, Jeremy.

I have also ordered an FQR-1 finder bracket to complete the upgrades. I have been indecisively hovering over the buy button for a few days given the eye-watering cost but confidently hit "Buy" on Ian King's website after reading your recent review :smile: 

• Like 1

Congratulations, Derek! 

It looks like a great upgrade to your telescope! Glad to hear that it works very well!  :) 

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DRT said:

Thanks, Jeremy.

I have also ordered an FQR-1 finder bracket to complete the upgrades. I have been indecisively hovering over the buy button for a few days given the eye-watering cost but confidently hit "Buy" on Ian King's website after reading your recent review :smile: 

I might go for one of those for my FC100DL. I've currently fitted a Skywatcher quick release bracket on small spacers, which does the job but the FQR1 seems a neat solution to making the stock finder easy to pop on and off.

takercole01.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DRT said:

Thanks, Jeremy.

You got me thinking Derek. Since I have 4 Taks but only one FQR1, perhaps I could buy 3 more FQR’s and use the same Tak finder on each.

Now MY eyes are watering!

?

I wonder if the bases as available separately....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

You got me thinking Derek. Since I have 4 Taks but only one FQR1, perhaps I could buy 3 more FQR’s and use the same Tak finder on each.

Now MY eyes are watering!

?

I wonder if the bases as available separately....

Do you use the stock straight through Tak finder Jeremy ?

I have one and it's wonderful quality but I just find RACI more convenient to use.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

Do you use the stock straight through Tak finder Jeremy ?

I have one and it's wonderful quality but I just find RACI more convenient to use.

Yes John. I’ve always used straight through finders (inverted) and never had any trouble. I’ve got a Tak 50 mm and the tiny 30 mm

• Like 1

I had a quick peep through the 6x30 when I was unboxing the FC100 and was astonished by the clarity and brightness of the image. Has a wider field of view than its big brother too. The quick release is a great accessory and would agree it makes storing the telescope in the bag a lot easier.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

I had a quick peep through the 6x30 when I was unboxing the FC100 and was astonished by the clarity and brightness of the image. Has a wider field of view than its big brother too. The quick release is a great accessory and would agree it makes storing the telescope in the bag a lot easier.

The 6 x 30 is often described as a little gem. It is!

• Like 1

Oh it's a wonderful little finder and beautifully made but I find the lowly Skywatcher 6x30 RACI does the job just as well and is much more comfortable in use, for me. My poor little Tak 6x30 and it's cast mount are back in their box I'm afraid :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

The FQR-1 arrived from Ian King this morning and is now installed on the FC-100...

IMG_1216.jpg.561914f0c99e149879aee0bca0f6118d.jpgIMG_1218.thumb.jpg.ae10092a52447c585e1f085782ab318f.jpg

IMG_1219.thumb.jpg.acd67ecf1614ee8373a12cfe4d16ac88.jpg

A high quality item that finishes off the job nicely, but I struggle to understand why they need to charge £98 for it ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1