Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WST Delayed - Again

beka

That’s a shame. Clearly a hugely complex project, but some of the errors listed there just shouldn’t have happened. I hope they get the additional funds needed.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Clearly a hugely complex project,

Yeah, and here's my solution to the missing fasteners problem. Should be in line with NASA's tendency to overengineer things (*).

Put a small gps device on each fastener and bolt. In case one pops out, it will be easy to locate.

Just my € 0.2 (hey, it's NASA, I can overcharge)

(*) I assume you are familiar with the story about the pen that NASA supposedly engineered a long time ago.

58 minutes ago, wimvb said:

(*) I assume you are familiar with the story about the pen that NASA supposedly engineered a long time ago.

If you are talking about Russian pencils then yes I am!

Perhaps they just need to pick JWST up and shake it, hopefully the nuts will fall out of the hole in the bottom, that’s my normal strategy ;)

Don't they have to get the project re-authorised by congress if it goes over the $8bn budget?  I know Trump is into the idea of a "space defence" force, but what his opinions are on research projects I have no idea.

James

5 hours ago, Stu said:

If you are talking about Russian pencils then yes I am!

Perhaps they just need to pick JWST up and shake it, hopefully the nuts will fall out of the hole in the bottom, that’s my normal strategy ;)

As far as I am aware, the story that NASA developed the Fisher Space Pen whilst the Russians used pencils is an urban myth.  My understanding is that the development of the Fisher space pen was paid for by Fisher, not NASA.  Furthermore, both NASA and the Russians abandoned using pencils quite early in their space programmes as they both recognised the risk to astronauts from bits of pencil breaking off and ending up being inhaled or hitting them in the eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writing_in_space

A shame about the delay in the JWST.  But we'll just have to suck it up.
It was inevitable that problems would be revealed as the project progressed.
This is one gargantuan piece of technology, and not to have discovered problems during 
construction, would have led to possible disaster. So what's a couple of  years or more?
to reap the knowledge this instrument will bring to us.
Exciting revelations ahead. I just hope I'm still here to enjoy it.
At 80, another three years or so is a very hopeful wait I think.
I hope I make it ?.

10 hours ago, JamesF said:

I know Trump is into the idea of a "space defence" force,

They could just tell him it's a giant shiny shield. And spell that last word S.H.I.E.L.D.

Archived