Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last night's moon and Mars ?

South at 10pm would likely have been Antares, not Mars which was still below the horizon. Mars is at its highest at around 3.30am currently, you can't miss it, it is very bright and orange!

It was Antares, as i was thinking the exact thing about an hour later.

It was looking quite red in colour and I only realised it was a star once i put the scope on it.

Mars would have been 11 degrees below the horizon at 2230 on 24/06/18 from Leicester, whereas Antares would've been 10 degrees up, so yes highly likely Antares, which is itself very orange. There should also have been a rather bright white dot at that time about 12 degrees "left" of and a bit lower than Antares - that would've been Saturn.

Magnus

If had viewed Antares bit more closely, would had seen Scorpio as well

Antares is also know as the Son of Mars

Currently in the Southern Hemisphere, Mars rises just after 8pm

We have Saturn just after sunset, and Jupiter is high overhead, and Venus is setting, western horizon

Use HeavensAbove APP as well

First time in weeks, the last couple of nights have been slightly overcast, and also smoke from control burn off, bush land adjacent ranges to home

You won't mistake Mars when you see it, but to see it you need to be out till after 1:00am 

Its now about as bright as Jupiter.

Fast forward a month.

Mars will be at perihelic opposition.

An eclipsed moon will be a couple of degrees away.

How good a photo opportunity will that be.......???  ?

Archived