NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone using Astronomik 6nm Narrow Band Filters?

Hi, 

I am thinking about getting some new filters for use with my recently purchased ASI1600mm pro and will be selling some things to fund this. 

I am wondering if anyone on SGL is using Astronomik 6nm filters as I see FLO started selling them recently. I was thinking about Baader 7nm Ha and 8.5nm OIII (which I have currently in 2 inch but don't fit my new filter wheel) however I liked the Idea of the Astronomik Ha and OIII having the same bandwidth were as the Baader filters are different. 

The thing making me hesitate is that I have heard talk about past / current issues with reflections on Astronomiks 6nm filters, I have found some examples, but also some with no reflections from bright stars. What with the already complex issue with the ASI1600mm pro micro-lenses I did not want to further add to that problem by having filter reflections too. 

Anyone got any example images with these filters of the HH or Gamma Cas etc?

What do you think of them?  Are you happy with your purchase?

Perticually interested if anyone is using them with the ASI1600mm and even more interested if they are using it with the ASI1600mm and a 130PDS. 

Cheers, 

Adam 

I captured this HH back in November 2017

I know it's not the 6nM filter but just for your perusal.

The Horsehead. 12 x 5 minute subs in Hydrogen Alpha. SW150p + Starlight Xpress SXV-9H + Astronomik Ha 12nM filter. False colour added.

38671060492_84c1629c4f_o.png

Hi Adam,

I might be one of those rare breeds who owns an Astronomik 6nm NB filters and i must say i'm very happy with them. No halos, no weirdness, they just simply work.

One thing i must add is that these are my first NB filters so won't be able to compare them against any others but my thought process was to spend as much as my wallet would allow me to avoid any further disappointments. 

Examples can be seen from Here

Hope this helps.

P.S: Sorry i must add, i use these filters with ASI1600, ZWO Filterwheel and these filters are 31mm. 

I bought the full set of Astronomik's : L2 , deep-sky RGB and 6nm NB , I haven't tried them yet because I'm still waiting for my new ccd (QHY16200A)  I was also afraid about halos and reflections but in astrobin I didn't see any strange things, looking forward to try them! so do you I guess :D 

Hi Adam,

I use Astronomik 6nm Ha, Oiii, Sii filters and have used them for around 2 years. I purchased the filters from Modern Astronomy and they were matched to my scope. I used the 12nm NB previously and find the 6nm superior. Tighter stars, more detail and no halo's whatsoever.

Steve

On 20/06/2018 at 19:56, sloz1664 said:

Hi Adam,

I use Astronomik 6nm Ha, Oiii, Sii filters and have used them for around 2 years. I purchased the filters from Modern Astronomy and they were matched to my scope. I used the 12nm NB previously and find the 6nm superior. Tighter stars, more detail and no halo's whatsoever.

Steve

Would be great so see some examples for each filter (ha oiii sii) with bright stars, its hard to find pictures for individual filters apart from Ha.

On 22/06/2018 at 19:59, sloz1664 said:

Hi Adam

Here's a set of stacked Ha, Oiii, Sii taken with my WO Star71 & Atik 460.

NGC_6888_Ha.thumb.png.a1ed95df79bd9b389410d7b38b10e4e3.png

NGC_6888_Oiii.thumb.png.c8e7e28cd4515915a0a4d52ab82c68d0.png

NGC_6888_Sii.thumb.png.9e3dac55c1d6c884ed40aa81b604b5b8.png

Steve

Steve, thanks I am more worried with the ASI1600mm pro due to its highly reflective surface and lack of AR coated sensor cover glass. But it is nice to see them working with a different camera. Do you have anything with a very bright star like the Horses head etc. What I really do want to avoid is reflections in the form of concentric rings.

Here is a great example from a 6nm Astronomik:

http://www.starrywonders.com/hhcm10.html

• 3 months later...

Hi Adam, did you buy the filter? i have the 1600mm pro and at the moment have 7nm ZWO Ha filter and i am getting some halo reflections that i am not very happy with. i am considering astrodons but would obviously be interested in a cheaper alternative that works with my camera

Colin

I have a 12nm astronomik ha filter from the era 2007-2008 that had the issue of halos,contacted astro eu that I presume are the astronomik agents ..they won't replace it as it's out of warrenty but offered a new one at a discounted rate..

So before I go ahead I tried my 6nm clip in filter stuck in the filter wheel with electrical tape... so far no halos from even bright stars..

Archived