SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So I was out the other night collecting images for a star trails of Ursa Major over the top of my daughter's tree in the front garden. Out of curiosity more than anything, I thought I'd give time lapse a shot. The attached is low res as I'm still messing around with what codec etc works best. The original avi file was pushing 8gb for 7 seconds!! Managed to get it down to 22mb but can't find anything inbetween. I'll keep playing though.

Original raw files cleaned up in Lightroom, then exported out as Jpg's into After Effects. The trails image used the same Jpg set but was put together in Star Stax. As pretty much first attempts at both, I'm happy.

EXIF:

Nikon D5300, 18mm @ f / 3.5, ISO 800, 162 x 25 seconds

Trails Test 4 18mm Lighten Mode-1.jpg

Nothing wrong with that - excellent result.

Not sure why, as you used the same images for both the timelapse and the startrails image, you seem to have a LOT more stars in the latter? It would make sense to me if you were 'stacking' them normally. Probably something obvious ...

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Nothing wrong with that - excellent result.

Not sure why, as you used the same images for both the timelapse and the startrails image, you seem to have a LOT more stars in the latter? It would make sense to me if you were 'stacking' them normally. Probably something obvious ...

Not sure either tbh. I used "Lighten mode" instead of "gap filling" in Star Stax so maybe that has some effect?

Did have a look at a "normal" stack of the raw files (ie in Sequator) and it was proper messy.

Have clear skies forecast tonight here so going back out and having another attempt. Also wanting to actually get a stack of Ursa Major without trailing, just to see what else is there that I can't see using these so I'll have two cameras running. One for the time lapse and trails and one for the stack, if that even makes sense?

Archived