Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GoPro time lapse meteor showers

When you have a lot of fun stuff you always think, is there another way I can use it ? I bought recently an used GoPro Hero5 Black camera. It's excelent to do time lapse movies with. But could it be used for astrophotography ? I have in mind doing time lapse of meteor showers. When I use my DSLR with a mechanical shutter I use 1/100 of its life time every night I use it for time lapse. With the GoPro camera there is no mechnical shutter, but will it be sensitive enough ? A very rough estimate is that it only have 1/10 of the sensitivity per pixel. But I'm curious, I want to test it.

I collected some information here and test that I have done:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-gopro-as-timelapse/01-project-gopro-as-timelapse.html

At the end a link to last night Perseid meteor shower. And it really works, but only catch the strongest meteors, but the camera is small and I can have it in my pocket so very easy to bring out in the dark and setup.

/Lars