NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB port on my Canon 450d :(

Started to use my 450D again - a modded one - for doing wide-field.  This is what got me into astro AP five years ago.  I invested in a CLS CCD clip filter last for use on modded cameras.  What-do-you-know, the USB port has gone awry on it.  My other DSLR - a Canon for daytime - works fine.  I've tried cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner but still the astro 450D will no longer connect :(  Oh dear....  Camera otherwise works perfectly.

Any thoughts about what I could try please?

3 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Unless you want to try replacing the Board I think that you will have to consider a new camera.

Peter

My thoughts too......  Will try a few more things.

Which is the one to go for in EoS land nowadays?

A replacement mainboard for a 450D should be in the region of £75 new... but can be scooped up for £35 off fleaBay. Usually dies as a result of a short - connector pulled skewiff in the socket shorts something on the mainboard. Same happened to my EOS650D a month ago.

Same thing happened to my 450d the USB socket "glued" to the circuit board, came unstuck.

A new board from Canon is £130.00 so not worth it, the rest of the camera still works fine using an intervalometer.

Get a new one with flip out LCD screen and crop video.

Dave 

Thanks. Looks like there’s nothing to lose by me having a bit of a tinker with it.  No matter what I do, it won’t connect over USB any more so something has borked.  Yes, could use an intervalometer - I have one - but then no live view on PC screen for focus?????

worrying if the USB port can blow like that. What if it were a 5D ??

Try-https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair.aspx#tab-content2

They do camera servicing and repairs. Depends how much you value your existing camera against cost of replacement. They will do a complete service of your camera.

If you have the inclination you can even take it up to Stoke and wait while it is repaired/serviced, all at cost mind.

Regards,
Steve

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What do you use it for? If just downloading data, take the SD card out.

Agreed, that is a possibility.  But so many things to aid the user on a PC now, from such basic things as focus, to positioning with platesolve, it seems pretty much essential - to me at any rate - to connect through the USB port.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2018 at 08:41, kirkster501 said:

Agreed, that is a possibility.  But so many things to aid the user on a PC now, from such basic things as focus, to positioning with platesolve, it seems pretty much essential - to me at any rate - to connect through the USB port.

Did you fix this? If not I can fix it for you, I have spares for 450D cameras to hand, drop me a message if you are interested and we can discuss cost. Not far from you in Lincoln. 

20 hours ago, Adam J said:

Did you fix this? If not I can fix it for you, I have spares for 450D cameras to hand, drop me a message if you are interested and we can discuss cost. Not far from you in Lincoln. 

Thanks. I removed the filter from my 1100D and binned the 450.  Shame, had I known I could have brought it over, I am in Lincoln loads.

Archived