Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Ganymede and GRS - 6-7May2018

geoflewis

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, broadway1 said:

Lots of very nice detail in your RGB image, Geof. Bravo!

Many thanks. The skies are darker here than my last nearly 50 years living in various parts of light polluted Surrey, though I guess there are some reasonable dark sites not too far from Dorking... :icon_biggrin: Cheers, Geof

1 minute ago, jock1958 said:

Incredible intricate detail of the swirling cloud belts with the GRS taking centre stage! 

Many thanks Jock,

I'm glad that you like it :smiley:. Getting Ganymede and the GRS both in transit in good seeing at this lowly altitude was more than I could have wished for. Sometimes it seems that the astro Gods are on our side :wink2:.

Cheers, Geof

Just now, astroman001 said:

Brilliant, best image I have seen of Jupiter this year.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I really appreciate your feedback, many thanks. The seeing was fair to good throughout the evening, but for a 30 minute period around 1am BST it got very good. I've just processed my first set of 9 RGBs showing Ganymede in transit with GRS just joining in and its noticible that the seeing was much inferior then. I'll upload it in a mo...

Cheers, Geof

Here's a stack of 9 AVIs from my first capture sequence when the seeing was not as good as later, but still far better than anything the previous few nights. Also at this time I hadn't tried imaging with the scope fans running and those definitely helped later on. It follows directly on from the IR image with which I started this thread, so nice to see Ganymede and shadow in transit with the GRS just about to join the party...

2018-05-06-2209_9-WJ_3xRGB_PS.jpg.2572c3c8f6f7df5cc0a7d22d4b4fb758.jpg

Anyway I hope you enjoy it.

Regards, Geof

Ok so I added the remaining data frommy capture sequence when the seeing was at its best, making a total of 3xR-G-B runs which at 20% of 4000 frames each AVI gives 2400 frames in the final image. I've placed the original and revised images side by side to show the camparison more easily.

2018-05-06-2345_5-WJ-RGB_PSv2.jpg.85386f392bebe8177f6eb55897930d9f.jpg2018-05-06-2350_9-WJ_PS.jpg.99bd51ecd4383427d7a9777e528aae91.jpg

I think it was worth adding the extra data, so hope that you like it.

Cheers, Geof

Firstly to the OP,

Amazing image, look forwards to any more you process and upload, will be keeping an eye out, i like the bit of detail on Ganymede.

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:26, pi_co100 said:

Great image.

We had months and months of clouds here in the UK - and now clear nights one after the other - help I need some sleep!! :icon_biggrin:

Piero

I know right, I'm on the outskirts of Nottinghamshire area and i haven't been able to look at the sky for at least 4-5 months, that was until last night, i got some lovely views of Jupiter visually and the atmosphere was relatively still last night where i was viewing from, my only downside was that i was having to look through the bedroom window as couldn't really get out plus on top of this we have a scaffolding up at the moment and yes the poles they use restrict our windows to where we can only open up one in the living room lol, i don't think our lass would have appreciated me opening up the living room window at 5 minutes past midnight to view the sky above, although she's a little bit partial herself to a bit of Astronomy viewing just NOT the cold night's that it can bring lol.

Cheers

Mark

Geof that was well worth the effort ?

There’s a marked difference in the colour and sharpness between those two images.

I’m no expert and I know nothing about AP but I think you have done an excellent job and many thanks for sharing.

Best wishes Jock ?

41 minutes ago, mark117h said:

Firstly to the OP,

Amazing image, look forwards to any more you process and upload, will be keeping an eye out, i like the bit of detail on Ganymede.

Thanks Mark,

I've still got lots of data from Sunday night still to process, but I've already posted images from the period of best seeing, so maybe will hold back posting more of the same on this thread. Who knows when (or if) we'll get comparable seeing from the UK again, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled.

Cheers, Geof

18 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Geof that was well worth the effort ?

There’s a marked difference in the colour and sharpness between those two images.

I’m no expert and I know nothing about AP but I think you have done an excellent job and many thanks for sharing.

Best wishes Jock ?

Thanks Jock,

I appreciate the generous feedback.

Best regards, Geof

5 hours ago, morimarty said:

Superb detail in both images Geof, but the left one looks smoother and slightly less sharp so thats the one for me.

Thanks Martyn, there is more detail in the second image, but maybe I got carried away with the sharpening, so thanks for the feedback. It is always good to have other folks eyes on the subject, because in our own eyes our children are always the most beautiful, regardless of their shortcomings :rolleyes2:. Cheers, Geof

Well I spent most of today (way too sad) trying to create an annimation out all 50 or so of the mono RGB AVIs that I took on Sunday. It's not the best (understatement :rolleyes2:), as there are gaps between the sequences and my processing of each AVi shows a lot of inconsistency. What is also apparant, however, is how the seeing significantly improved, then deteriorated again just as Ganymede moved out of frame. Anyway, here is an mp4, so I hope that file type works on SGL....

Jupiter&Ganymede 6May2018.mp4

Cheers, Geof

Just now, U Cyg said:

Nice animation Geof, short and sweet!  It certainly shows the variable seeing conditions, it was pretty much the same here too.

Angie

Thanks Angie,

Yes, a mix of variable seeing and variable processing by me :icon_confused:. I wonder if using the WinJupos mapping tool would produce a better result, but I've never learned how to use it.... Cheers, Geof

Just now, U Cyg said:

I have never tried WinJupos.  I did look at it a couple of years ago but my mind wasn't up to learning a new piece of software! 

Angie

I use WinJupos to de-rotate frames for higher resolution images, which is brilliant, but I never learnt the mapping tools - one day maybe.

I understand about brain freeze with computers/software only too well. Today I took delivery of 2 new laptops as my 6 year old one has been dying a slow death. I've been putting of replacing it as I didn't want to go Win10 and I know that I'll struggle to get everything installed and working on the new laptops. Both are A1 refurbished older Dell models, so finger's crossed they will work. I got a Win7Pro one for the observatory and a higher spec Win10Pro one for image processing and general home use. I'm currently trying to remember how to install and configure all the astro software on the observatory laptop....:icon_confused:. Then I have to tackle the higher spec Win10 laptop, which will be my first exposure to W10 - arghhhh...!!

Archived