SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where to install barlow

Hello, your barlow goes between the diagonal and the eyepiece you intend on using, when you want to use your barlow on any particular eyepiece just remove the eyepiece from the diagonal and in its place put in the barlow then the eyepiece in the barlow.

voila!

6 hours ago, Claggy said:

Hi I have a Meade sct and I’m a complete novice and was wonder where to install my 2x Barlow lens. Thanks in advance for help

Others above have described how to use the Barlow. Just be aware that (depending on the quality of the Barlow and your lenses) you may not get as good a view as you might expect due to the extra glass you add to the setup - especially at higher magnifications (and therefore likelier dimmer image). That’s my experience with Barlows anyway - I don’t use one. Hope that helps. ?

And for higher magnification, you can put it ahead of your diagonal assuming your don't have a reducer/corrector installed at the back of your SCT.  Some newer SCTs have built-in correctors (like the EdgeHD series), so be careful to check what's inside your visual back and/or baffle tube.

Speaking of reducer/correctors, remove them before adding a barlow.  It's self-defeating to reduce by 0.6x and then increase by 2x to 3x.

Archived