NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Doubles in Coma Berenices and Bootes

wookie1965

Only a short session planned before I went out. 

Coma Berenices first

35 Coma B (SAO 0825 51) I believe this is a triple system but I could not pull the third component out white/yellow primary with blue/white secondary.

Σ1615 (SAO 0629 04)  White primary with small dim red secondary.

12 Coma B (SAO 0822 73) lovely double Yellow/white with dim pale blue

17 Coma B,  (0823 30) wide twins.

24 Coma B  Σ1657 (SAO 1001 60) Albireo like orange/yellow primary with pale blue secondary.

Σ1685 (SAO 1003 07) white twins.

32-33 Coma B (SAO 1003 11) copper and pale blue lovely colours.

Bootes next.

Delta Bootis (SAO 0645 89) tight double had use 6.7 mm yellow/white primary with small yellow secondary.

Epsilon Bootis (Izar) ( SAO 0835 00) used 5 mm here but what a reward yellow primary with small blue secondary really tight.

Mu Bootis (SAO 0646 86) Cracking triple Bright primary with twin sun like secondaries.

Iota Bootis (SAO 0290 71) pale yellow primary creamy white secondary.

Kappa Bootis (SAO 0290 45/46) Pale white primary bluish secondary.

Pi Bootis ( SAO 1011 38/39) tight double Blue/white primary white companion.

Zeta Bootis (SAO 1011 45) This is getting tighter by 2021 wont be able split it the two stars will be as close as the Earth is to the sun. Very tight bluish twins.  

Xi Bootis (SAO 1012 50) yellow/orange reddish companion used 6.7 mm.

Tried M 13 I have seen it better but at least this time more mag made it better.

M 92 smaller but nice 

Tried M 57 ring nebula could not see it at all.

Packed all my stuff up then realised Jupiter was out and I forgot to view it.

Nice session Wookie. Some nice doubles seen there. Well done! :) I was up early at 3:30am looking mainly at Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, although I did bag quite a few other things too before it got too light. Didn’t do too many double, in fact the only two I did was Xi Bootis and the double double. Need to get a few more in on my next session. 

19 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

nice and short... nice views but I'm surprised that you had trouble seeing M57.  Generally it is quite a bright object.

I have seen M 57 many times to be truthful the scope looked as though it was pointing to low but everything else was in the FOV so could not understand it.

5 hours ago, mapstar said:

Becoming quite the double star observer Paul.

Were you using the TAL 

Yes Damian not had the 8" out for 9 months I have either got to find a dark spot close to home, wait until I can get to a dark site or sell it being that I am not using it.

Archived