Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars & M22

orion25

I get up a couple of hours before dawn this morning and am greeted with a beautiful pairing of Saturn and Mars. Saturn looks beautiful, tilted perfectly in our direction, a bright peach orb sporting good detail including the Cassini division. Mars is definitely getting bigger and brighter, and is decidedly more reddish than Saturn. I can see a little detail now. I excitedly try out my Mars filter but don't see significantly much more detail (in fact, the overall tint is actually a bit distracting); maybe, it will work better as Mars gets closer). Jupiter, a little farther west, is an awesome, large, bright orb with striking belts, and the moons have a curious question mark-like configuration this morning. The regal Blue Moon is on its way to set, but I don't risk my "dawn" vision looking at it through the eyepiece. The air is pleasantly cool,  nowhere near as chilly as some previous mornings (the weather here can't make up its mind if it's winter or spring). A little humid, so I pull out the dew shield. Well, what do you know, there's a developing high cloud to the west, threatening to interfere, lol (fortunately, it doesn't). I really want to see Mars and M22 together, less than a half degree apart, so that means I can see them in a telescopic view! Time to image! I set up the camera on the 127mm Mak and take several shots, this one being my favorite:

5ac0deca5b19f_ASTRONOMY-MARSM224-01-18SM.jpg.0d538d7cd9820a6b12a36ec119579b9a.jpg

And here is another pic taken several minutes earlier:

5ac0df06bdc8c_ASTRONOMY-MARSM224-01-18BSM.jpg.73a60ff50e2c7425cd4a02fe10095c56.jpg

Reggie

Brilliant capture - I was looking forward to the Saturn/Mars conjunction with M22 as an added bonus. I was wondering whether it could be visible through the telescope and then wondered if anyone had taken an image - having to get up at 4am in the UK where it would still be dark. Unfortunately it was cloudy!

6 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Aw yes M22 , one of my favorites and most visited GCs' ! How close is Mars now , has it reach max closeness for this year ?? 

Mars is about 161 million kilometers (97 million miles) away right now, well on its way to its closest approach since 2003 on July 31. It will be about 57 million kilometers (35 million miles) away from us at that time.

5 hours ago, Beulah said:

Brilliant capture - I was looking forward to the Saturn/Mars conjunction with M22 as an added bonus. I was wondering whether it could be visible through the telescope and then wondered if anyone had taken an image - having to get up at 4am in the UK where it would still be dark. Unfortunately it was cloudy!

Thanks, Beulah. I was just able to fit Mars and M22 into the frame which closely matched the view in a 20mm eyepiece. It was about 6 a.m. EDT and very cool! 

On 4/2/2018 at 04:28, Pete Presland said:

Excellent capture Reggie.

Thanks, Pete. I was more excited about the prospect of capturing Mars and M22 than about getting Mars & Saturn!

On 4/1/2018 at 12:37, Demonperformer said:

Wonderful pairing. Not easy to cope with such a disparity in brightness. Excellent result, Reggie. 

Thanks, DP. The disparity in brightness is a big challenge sometimes.

Archived