Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oddsocks said:

Comments associated with the post state a loud double crack was heard and the object seen at the same time, this would not be possible for an upper atmosphere object, the sound would have been delayed substantially.

Given the OP's location is Lowestoft I would say that this is a capture of a coastguard or RNLI station maroon flare being launched nearby.

When I used to holiday as a youngster down in Poole we used to see and hear these maroons being launched from the Poole lifeboat station. A single crack is heard as they explode, often followed by an echoed crack a moment or so later. The twisting track of the maroon is typical of the ones I recall.

As others have stated the objects trace is duplicated in the image and is most likely an internal lens reflection.

I love this forum :D

Nice one Oddsocks

1 hour ago, Oddsocks said:

Comments associated with the post state a loud double crack was heard and the object seen at the same time, this would not be possible for an upper atmosphere object, the sound would have been delayed substantially.

Given the OP's location is Lowestoft I would say that this is a capture of a coastguard or RNLI station maroon flare being launched nearby.

When I used to holiday as a youngster down in Poole we used to see and hear these maroons being launched from the Poole lifeboat station. A single crack is heard as they explode, often followed by an echoed crack a moment or so later. The twisting track of the maroon is typical of the ones I recall.

As others have stated the objects trace is duplicated in the image and is most likely an internal lens reflection.

I did come up with this Video to support Oddsocks theory, seems that the RNLI have two different flares a white and a red flare, this certainly seems like it could match the pattern of a flare ascending and descending. The very beginning of the video demonstrates the flares and fact they use two colors for different circumstances. I think Oddsocks nailed it!

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I stand corrected!! Thanks Pete

Well I may as well fall over, I really have no idea where I stand now ;) 

RNLI flare plus internal reflections sound very plausible.

36 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I think Oddsocks pretty much sounds like he’s experienced this phenomenon before, sounds convincing to me! 

What are the chances it just happened to pass right through the centre of Spica and Jupiter, I find that rather incredible.

10 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

What are the chances it just happened to pass right through the centre of Spica and Jupiter, I find that rather incredible.

I’m not so sure, launching a flare into a sky full of stars, chances are it will cross stars no? 

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I did come up with this Video to support Oddsocks theory, seems that the RNLI have two different flares a white and a red flare, this certainly seems like it could match the pattern of a flare ascending and descending. The very beginning of the video demonstrates the flares and fact they use two colors for different circumstances. I think Oddsocks nailed it!

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

The type of Maroon Flare that I think was imaged is the signal flare used to summon the crews to the lifeboat station.

They are just small rockets with a white magnesium fire trail in flight and a loud explosion when they reach terminal altitude.

Originally developed for military signalling, they do not stay aloft on a parachute as they are not used for illumination, just as a signal to start an attack or launch an artillery barrage etc.

These days the lifeboat station crews are summoned by mobile phones, texts and the like but they are still used where mobile coverage may be poor.

As far as the chances of the trail to pass right through the centre of the star spica, well, that is hard to quantify, I have any number of subs in my collection that have aircraft and satellite trails passing right across stars.

Stretching the image in PI to the n'th degree shows no sign of trailing in the image of any of the stars that would indicate a disturbance to the mount, only the trail of the object and it's ghost reflection, the background noise looks very like that of a single image, I suppose it is possible it could be hoaxed but I think unlikely. 

When you consider that the sound of an exploding object at the height of an intercontinental airliner, 30,000ft (9144 mtrs) or so and that sound travels in air at 343 mtrs per second that would take approx 26 seconds for the sound to reach the ground so the OP could not have heard the sound of the explosion and seen the object simultaneously, for the two event to be simultaneous they would have had to be much closer to his location and most space debris breaks up at much higher altitudes than the main air corridors used for flight making the sound travel time even longer.

It's only a theory of course , beats daytime TV :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I’m not so sure, launching a flare into a sky full of stars, chances are it will cross stars no? 

But to pass directly through the two brightest objects and the so called reflection/flare passes directly through Spica, what are the chances of that.

If you look closely at the final two blobs they are made up of several points of light, something must have moved more than once.

Anyway, at least it appears not to be a satellite whatever caused it.

These things happen, funny story, once while flying my large RC plane (6ft wingspan) I lost control, my radio failed, as my friend watched in horror, while I yelled NOOOOO!! my expensive plane flew right into an outcrop of trees about 300m away.

I made the walk of shame as we call it to recover the pieces, when we arrived at the outcrop of trees in the middle of the field which was an area of trees Roughly 50m squared, we were stupififed to see my plane sitting in the middle of the outcrop without so much as a scratch!

this was a thick outcrop with trees maybe 5 ft from each other evenly, we didn’t know what to think, we walked around for an hour just contemplating how the plane made it into the center of the outcrop without disturbing a leaf on a tree, and landed??? It warranted photographs and my friend until now mentions it. You had to be there to see the circumstances really.

what I mean by this is strange things happen my friend, crossing two stars is possible!

Archived