SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Popped it into Astrometry to see where in the sky it was, it came up with this. Certainly looks like they are stars.

untitled.png.e9b7cf66d849204614b6b988e2aa4481.png

I stand corrected!! Thanks Pete

Bit more description here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/33728-satalitejpg/

Pure fluke i was shooting a series to stack,

lots of frames with a remote,

i heard two great cracks saw it but kept on shooting hoping i had it, looking later was over the moon i had.

‎02 ‎January ‎2017, ‏‎05:26:00

From the image file:

image.png.9cef06641242b66f786a2f240eee9d3b.png

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I stand corrected!! Thanks Pete

If you look at Theta, it seems to have a multiple streak in the same direction as Spica? Or does the multiple system show at this resolution? I cannot recall. There seems to be a hint on some other stars too but maybe my mind is playing tricks? Perhaps the dimmer ones were not bright enough to record the movement in 10 seconds? I am quite happy to be proved wrong but it still seems a more logical solution that the mount was knocked to me. I am certainly no imager so cannot help with image train or external issues.

I'm inclined to agree with Moonshane at the moment.  It's telling the Spica, a very bright star. is on the bright line.  The "hook" at the top of the bright trace appears to be duplicated faintly above the indicated position of Spica, too.  So I think something happened that shifted the sensor position mid-exposure.  The duplicated traces perhaps suggest that it was something mechanical and periodic though, rather than a bump?

James

45 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

If you look at Theta, it seems to have a multiple streak in the same direction as Spica? Or does the multiple system show at this resolution? I cannot recall. There seems to be a hint on some other stars too but maybe my mind is playing tricks? Perhaps the dimmer ones were not bright enough to record the movement in 10 seconds? I am quite happy to be proved wrong but it still seems a more logical solution that the mount was knocked to me. I am certainly no imager so cannot help with image train or external issues.

It's 70mm on an APS-C sensor so widesh field.

The duplicate is a triple as there is another higher to the right.

A re-entering satellite would not reverse and do a loop.

Comments associated with the post state a loud double crack was heard and the object seen at the same time, this would not be possible for an upper atmosphere object, the sound would have been delayed substantially.

Given the OP's location is Lowestoft I would say that this is a capture of a coastguard or RNLI station maroon flare being launched nearby.

When I used to holiday as a youngster down in Poole we used to see and hear these maroons being launched from the Poole lifeboat station. A single crack is heard as they explode, often followed by an echoed crack a moment or so later. The twisting track of the maroon is typical of the ones I recall.

As others have stated the objects trace is duplicated in the image and is most likely an internal lens reflection.

Archived