Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope Eye- I Know It's Not Just Me!

Hayduke27

As I have observed more and more, I have also had more experience with "Scope Eye".  I know you know what I am talking about.  After looking through my scope for an extended period, when I look away with my naked eye towards the stars or any other small visible object, I find myself seeing double.  It makes sense to me that spending so much time with only one eye focused through the scope would lead to this strange sensation.  Does everybody experience this?  Are there ways to minimize it?  How long does it take for it to fade away?  Does it have to do with my astigmatism?

Please tell me this is not unique to me :confused2:

• 2 months later...

"Scope Eye"  - like it! I've also suffered from this and also wondered if it was just me. I've tried an eye patch but prefer to pull something over my head  like a fleese to act as a hood. I think for me it's because i tend to screw my closed eye tight shut and if try and lightly close it, keeping it relaxed, it helps.

Yeah I used to get this. It's much much worse if you are - for some reason - looking through your eyepieces indoors,  I was cleaning them and when I took my eye away I felt like I was drunk.  

Outside when observing I cover my other eye with my hand - seem to work - as said above, an eyepatch might be the way to go..

I've never had seeing double or giddiness, the only thing I get is a loss of dark adaptation in my observing eye when moon observing. I always have both eyes open and relaxed, with my non observing eye covered by my hand or inside a hood. I never observe with one eye shut.

I've always thought that "telescope eye" was a condition brought on by squinting with one eye for long periods through a telescope..

When I was younger one of the most famous "sufferers" of this was said to be Sir Patrick Moore.

My wife has said in the past that she thinks I'm getting Telescope eye as I get older, to which I responded that it's not possible, as our skies and my job just don't allow enough observing hours to risk my getting ANY such condition...Any changes to my appearance are much more likely to be due to crow's feet and the ageing process!?

Coincidentally, I've recently acquired an eye patch to see if it helps my Cyclops viewing, but the eastern side of the country where I live now has been wall to wall cloudy for almost 2 weeks now, preventing me (along with a holiday abroad) from trying it out yet..

Dave

I use an eye patch for cyclops, and a hood and that works for me on the few occasions that I mono view. I also took up Old Nick's suggestion of putting the patch over the observing eye  when away from the scope to protect night vision. When I binoview of course, two patches causes problems.:grin:

Archived