NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New, and Improved LP filter?! :)

Hailfire101

Hi guys.
I'm quite proud to let you know, I'm one of the lucky few people (maybe the 1st?) in the UK to have im my position, this little beauty!

The IDAS LPS D2!
Not, the P2, or the D1!  The brand new, D2.

From what I have learned so far, this is the new filter, to help block out some of the new LED light pollution, as well as the old sodium light too.
Also, it has an improved colour balance.

Unfortunately, due to silly weather conditions, I wont be able to test for a few days, but as soon as I do, I'll let you know what it's like!

A huge thank you to FLO (James) who as supplied me with the filter, and sent it out as soon as they had stock.

filter.jpg

• Like 1

James said, it'll be on there in the next few days.  They dont have many in stock and will probably sell out very fast.

It should work on modded and none modded DSLRs.  Its aimed at the LED white light pollution and Sodium pollution.
So, it should help more in the future, with all the LED street lights now going up.  Will have to see if its better than the D1... or just different. :)

• Thanks 1

That could be quite useful as my L filter. I wouldn't put it ahead of the filter wheel though as it block too much of the individual R, G, and B channels. I used to have an Astronomik CLS-CCD as my L, but it blocked too much.

Do we think this could be useful for visual reduction of light pollution also?

Really like the way the filter is designed to take out the strong blue peak from the LED emissions spectrum.

Interestingly, to just supress this blue peak in the LED spectrum you could use a light yellow 495nm filter

Be interesting to see a comparison. Unfortunately not (Yet) available in 1.25" so would run me into serious costs buying new 2" RGB filters, and possibly a matching H-alpha (Not Astrodon, probably Astronomik).

• 4 weeks later...

As an aside to this - the Chroma LP filter blocking capabilities that I would say look slightly better to the IDAS.... as far as I can compare the IDAS graph earlier in this thread and this one below.......

Chroma-LoGlow-Light-Pollution-Filter.png

It would be interesting to see a comparison of this new filter along with the Chroma LP filter.

As I have bad LP to the west with the new LED street lights I would be very interested in ANY LP filter that could help.

• 2 years later...

I use a IDAS D2 on a 11" RASA.  It's interesting.  It makes the colors of galaxies...  different.  Less blue.  It seems to work very well - without a moon. With moon?  not in my testing but maybe that's due to bad transparancy too.
I was just forced to go to this from the Celestron/astrodon L-PRO for the rasa. 
I'll add a couple recent IDAS D2 examples.

fullcrop.PNG

St-tweask3-avg-FINAL-gigapixel-scale-2xcrop.jpg

WHALE and CROWBAR.jpg

2sessions_shark_-final.50percent-St.jpg

• Like 5