Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Hubs - Pegasus OR HitecAstro

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Maybe something like an Intel Compute Stick *wink* *wink*

Depending on which compute stick you are thinking of you can actually power it off the 6th USB port directly. This I think works for most of them however there is am issue with the more powerful Intel Compute Stick which has the M3 processor where this doesn' work (should in theory but not in practice, Pegasus are investigating this).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AngryDonkey said:

Depending on which compute stick you are thinking of you can actually power it off the 6th USB port directly. This I think works for most of them however there is am issue with the more powerful Intel Compute Stick which has the M3 processor where this doesn' work (should in theory but not in practice, Pegasus are investigating this).

To be honest i really haven't thought of this yet but i reckon i soon will have to. Glad it got picked up and Pegasus are investigating.

2 hours ago, AngryDonkey said:

You're spot on Mike.  The port is a permanently active one (does not reset with the software function) and has a maximum capacity of 3A.  I believe the one particular Intel stick in question needs either more, or an odd power delivery profile meaning it won't work, although most will.

I think this problem only affects the Intel Compute Sticks with the Core M3 or M5 processors, the ones with the Atom processors should be fine (best to ask Pegasus but I'm sure they said they already tried one without any issues). I have the Core M3 version and I did actually measure the Amp draw and it never exceeded 2.5A so the port should in theory be able to do it but when powered from the hub it will reboot as soon as it reaches around 1.2A. It's a mystery... With hindsight I would probably have been better off buying the Atom version as I don't think I need the extra processor capacity and it would have been cheaper too. One thing to point out is that the if you go for the Core M3 version there is only one USB port on the Stick itself even though the specs actually say there are 3 USB ports. The reason is that two of the USB ports are actually on the charger itself which acts as a USB hub (but won't be available when you are powering it off the 12V supply). This is not a problem if you are only planning to connect the Ultimate Hub but I did initially have plans to connect something directly to the stick which then didn't work and I didn't want to use a USB hub (the whole point was to get rid of them). In contrast the Atom version has two USB ports, one USB3 the other USB2.

I should also point out that it is easy enough to power the Core M3 stick from the hubs 12V port. Pegasus Astro can actually supply an adapter specifically for this which I don't think is very expensive so this is not really an issue if you have a spare 12V port. I soldered my own from a spare voltage converter and a butchered USB-C cable which works just as well.

Oh and I should also add that if you are considering a Compute Stick and you are using it in the field it is advisable to find a way to hook up a display, keyboard and mouse directly. There have been a few occasions already where the Stick didn't automatically connect to the Wifi network which obviously prevents any remote connection from happening and unless you have direct access makes it unusable. I had a spare Toshiba USB monitor panel which I am now using for this purpose which can be connected to and powered by the Stick via USB and a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for input.

Ok, slight update from my side and anyone looking through some information.

I was planning on using the following to power from the Pegasus hub

1) NEQ6 Pro

2) ASI1600MM-C 

3) Lakeside

4) 2 x dew heater straps (1.25" and an 8")

5) Maybe the powered usb 3.0 hub for planetary work if it ever happens

I calculated the entire thing to 8.5A so was looking for a 10A linear power supply.

Over the weekend i plugged my mount, asi and the dew heater bands to full power and all of my USB cables (i didn't want to have any surprised) but i was only seeing 2.4A - 2.5A max.

1.5A when tracking, 1.7A when slewing and 2.4A with heater at full when tracking and 2.5A with heaters at full and when slewing.  

This to me was a revelation to me because i was expecting the numbers to be higher.

For the fun of it, i plugged in my 4 port USB 3.0 powered hub and the Amperes peeked to 3.2A in total. 

I do not have a lakeside motor focuser yet but keeping a bit more than i should in reserve, i have ordered a 10A linear power supply.

Oh and before i forget, i did also take a couple of test images and the Amps did not go up. 

One thing to note, i was testing this all inside the house where the temperature sensor was reading 19.8 degrees ... cosy :)

I have a Nevada 8A and a Nevada 25-30 PSU, I power everything form the 25-30A PSU apart from the laptop and guide camera, as follows: -

Nevada 8A PSU

HP Laptop with 17" Screen, I7, 16mb 2TB HDD
Lodestar x2 Guide Camera

Nevada 25-30A PSU

Atik 383+ CCD this does seem to draw quite a bit when cooling
Atik EFW2 Filter Wheel
3 Dew Heaters
SW AZ-EQ6-GT Mount
Moonlite/Lakeside Focuser's
7 Port USB3.0 Hub

It handles all of this well, the 8A bounces a bit when the laptop fires up, but then calms down at a steady 4A when all the programs have launched.

HTH.

Very interesting.

Thank you for contributing. How much does your Nevada 25-30A PSU draw when everything is working?

I don't intend to power my laptop through the PSU because i'm not too far off from the mains but then again the power output is rated at 3.5A max for me.

Probably about 4-5 when everything is running, but on start up about 10ish until it all settles down, that's why I bought the second PSU as the first 8A wasn't enough to power the laptop as well.

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

PSU delivered. Now to get back home, power it all up when i can and test.

Opps just realised, i don't have the correct cable bummer lol

Woo hoo!  You can cobble something together mate, just make sure it's fused :thumbright:

44 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

@RayD mate you're forgetting something, i am useless when it comes to these kind of things :D I don't even know where to start. The PSU has banana plugs, how would i go about fusing that?

Check it is bananas mate, it may not be.  It could be post and screw terminals, in which case you just need to put an inline fuse on the + leg of your cable (chop the cigar lighter plug off) but if it isn't something you are used to doing it is best to get help as you will need to make sure the polarity is right.

The Pegasus has internal fuses, I have not fused my power cable from my bench supply... ?, as for banana plugs they probably are but if like mine the terminals also unscrew and you can then put cable behind and tighten, mine actually had a hole through the thread when unscrewed so the cable went through that and is nice and trapped.... :) 

Well, technically they're just holes, the banana plugs are the things you plug in to them.  Does you power lead have banana plugs on as the one which comes with the Pegasus usually has a cigar lighter plug?

Personally I would always fuse a lead, no matter what it is connected to, as you are protecting the lead not necessarily the load or supply.  For example, if your supply is fused at 15A, which is likely as it has a 12A surge rating, but your cable is only rated at 10A, then you have problem.  If it were me I would be fitting a 10A fuse on the positive conductor as from memory I think this is the rating of the Pegasus cable.  If you want to check this just unscrew the end of your cigar lighter plug and there is probably a fuse in there, that will be the correct rating.

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

Well, technically they're just holes, the banana plugs are the things you plug in to them.  Does you power lead have banana plugs on as the one which comes with the Pegasus usually has a cigar lighter plug?

Personally I would always fuse a lead, no matter what it is connected to, as you are protecting the lead not necessarily the load or supply.  For example, if your supply is fused at 15A, which is likely as it has a 12A surge rating, but your cable is only rated at 10A, then you have problem.  If it were me I would be fitting a 10A fuse on the positive conductor as from memory I think this is the rating of the Pegasus cable.  If you want to check this just unscrew the end of your cigar lighter plug and there is probably a fuse in there, that will be the correct rating.

Yes you're right, Pegasus came with the cigar lighter.

I just opened the cigar plug and there is indeed a fuse in it but i can not make out what's written on it :(

Just now, souls33k3r said:

Yes you're right, Pegasus came with the cigar lighter.

I just opened the cigar plug and there is indeed a fuse in it but i can not make out what's written on it :(

Try using the camera on zoom on your phone (tricks you learn when you get older and resemble Mr Magoo).  It will be stamped on the side of one of the silver caps.

Archived