Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best beginner software for imaging?

Zayvin

Hi all,

I am still very new to astronomy, but not to IT in general. I have put together a decent pile of kit to cover me from lunar, planetary and deep space imaging. I am however struggling with software selection! Please could you advise me on which capture, stacking, processing software is the best (in your opinion) at the moment?

I have SharpCap Pro which i will be using for polar align and i also have Photoshop as part of the photography subscription.

Any advice is much appreciated! 

Thanks,

Andy

I mostly imaging DSO.
Capturing: SGPro + PlateSolve2 -> framing, centering & start imaging less than 5min. No need star alignment...bla bla bla.
Stacking & processing: PixInsight + PS. I've read Astro Pixel Processor is a good software as well.

Ketut

You say you are starting out with AP. So, Sharpcap is an adequate program for capture - yes there are others that may do more, but walk before you run. Deep Sky Stacker (free downloads available!) will handle production of a basic stacked image ready to go into Photoshop. So, you have most of what you need and DSS is available free. No need to spend out your hard-earned dosh on software at this time.

What I would recommend you buy is a copy of this book - it will help you through what you will discover is a very steep learning curve.

If you are using a DSLR then you can use the propitiatory software - So for example Canon utilities works really well on the PC and you can control all that you need. The newer Canon's as well can do live view on the OC via this program, so you will have an easier time focusing :)

For DS stacking and calibrating, making master flats, bias and darks and initial cosmetic corrections (star and plane trail removal, hot pixel filtration, column removal etc) I use AstroArt. I find it incredibly fast, logical, transparent and reasonably priced.

You already have Ps which is great. It remains, for me and my mentality, the best post processing software, though I do use Pixinsight for some early operations.

There are some must-have plug-ins for Ps, none of them ridiculously expensive, if you don't want to buy Pixinsight. They are:

Gradient Xterminator http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/GradientXTerminator/   (However, AstroArt 6.0 has a gradient removal tool with which I've only dabbled. It looked promising.)

Hasta La Vista Green, free or donate from Rogelio Bernal Andreo's website. http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2010/04/26/hasta-La-Vista-Green.html

The set of actions still informally known by its original name, 'Noel's Actions.' Inexpensive and incredibly good. Really, some of the actions are out of this world but use them as a layer and select how much and where on the image you want to keep them. http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html

Olly

I use FireCapture for solar, lunar and planetary imaging, with a combination of PIPP, AutoStakkert!3, Registax, and ImPPG for processing (all free). I use APT for DSO capture with the DSLRs (not free, but very cheap, and I like it). I used to work with DSS, for stacking, and it does a very decent job, but have lately switched to (paid for) Astro Pixel Processor, which I do feel does a better job. I would first start out with DSS, however

There are a few option open to you. Most of the software available offers you a free trial or limitations on use. 

I would suggest to just try them and see how you feel using them vs the cost of the software. Some software will nearly do everything in one and others are just dedicated to certain actions, I think you budget will determine where you go first.

You can always start out using the free stuff (APT, DSS) and upgrade as you improve.

10 hours ago, Zayvin said:

Hi all,

I am still very new to astronomy, but not to IT in general. I have put together a decent pile of kit to cover me from lunar, planetary and deep space imaging. I am however struggling with software selection! Please could you advise me on which capture, stacking, processing software is the best (in your opinion) at the moment?

I have SharpCap Pro which i will be using for polar align and i also have Photoshop as part of the photography subscription.

Any advice is much appreciated! 

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

You didn't say what you would be using for imaging. DSLR or CCD/CMOS ?. I use a Canon 600D, and swear blind by backyard EOS (BYEOS). Best 35 quid I ever spent. They also do a Nikon version. It has a Frame and focus tab, which Is very accurate. I have not used my bahtinov Mask since using BYEOS.

John

On 2/21/2018 at 10:42, johngm said:

Hi Andy,

You didn't say what you would be using for imaging. DSLR or CCD/CMOS ?. I use a Canon 600D, and swear blind by backyard EOS (BYEOS). Best 35 quid I ever spent. They also do a Nikon version. It has a Frame and focus tab, which Is very accurate. I have not used my bahtinov Mask since using BYEOS.

John

Hi John,

I do have a DSLR (Nikon D5500, non modded) but i am primarily intending to use either my newly acquired ZWO ASI183MM or the ZWO ASI224MC i have had for a while, albeit unused. I will certainly be checking out the software you recommend.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived