NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ok, I picked up a tracking motor for my GP mount from Skywatcher which fits like a glove and works like a charm, now for solar tracking I have a query.

Other than aligning the mount at night and marking the position of my tripod legs which I figured I’d do, is there any other tips I can apply for solar tracking to get the best possible result. Oops! I forgot solar rate, my drive does not allow for solar rate, will this be an issue??

90434C59-5393-488B-939C-0FA75652CB3B.jpeg

With solar viewing, pick another star which is close to the sun, and then do a single star alignment

Bring scope back onto the sun

Might need to slightly adjust the speed to stay aligned

Believe V4 SynScan now has a solar tracking mode

Still using V3.2 with my EQ5

SYNSCAN V4 HAND CONTROL INSTRUCTION MANUAL (V4.39.04)

What's new in this update? 1. A "Solar Track Mode" is added in the UTILITY menu. To use this new function: 1) Polar align the equatorial mount or level the base of the Alt-Az mount. 2) Finish the initialization on SynScan. No alignment is needed. 3) Activate "Solar Track Mode." Now the mount will start working at solar tracking speed until exiting the "Solar Track Mode". 4) Center the Sun in FOV with SynScan hand controller. 5) Start observing. Warning: Your telescope must be capable of observing the Sun safely.

When you think about it, the Sun transits the heavens roughly once a year, so 360 degrees/365 days, you are looking at about 1 degree per day azimuth difference in the tracking rate, even less for altitude. This is well within the slide rule and 4-figure log table accuracy of my youth :icon_biggrin:.

I can image the Sun on and off all day in Alt AZ mode so nothing to be concerned about.  As mentioned above the stacking software (I use AS!2) can compensate even for field rotation.  I did have an issue with FR when imaging the Mercury transit of course but Photoshop to the rescue!

Archived