SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Get your wide field scope ready

Luna-tic

Saw this on weather.com. The premise is, "what if the Moon orbited at the same distance from Earth as the ISS?". Physics and orbital dynamics aside, the graphics are pretty nice. The video is Moonrise to Moonset, accelerated, with the Moon only 250 miles out.

https://weather.com/science/space/video/what-if-moon-orbited-at-same-height-as-iss

If we're suspending physics & orbital dynamics, then I say let it come a little bit closer. After what seems like 2 months of solid cloud here, having something penetrate below the cloud base is probably the only chance of seeing something celestial in the near future...

:)

' Roche limit '  > Google,  is handy here.

I wonder : how close could the moon be brought ( big rocket  or long time with ion thruster) such that a space elevator string ( á lá A. C. Clarke) could work ? Ah, engages brain : to the geostationary orbit, is that within Roche ???

Somewhere else on the forum (Facts) we were talking about how the moon is receding at 38mm/year. Could we stop that ( for future generations to continue seeing solar eclipses) with a long term ion thruster ? Hmmm.

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

It must have been closer than this long ago and it didn't break up into rings or did it? then re form.

Alan

I think the current operative theory on the Moon's creation is that a smaller planetary-sized body impacted a primordial Earth and blasted material into orbit that eventually accreted into the Moon. It is true, though, that the distance is increasing between the two, as a result of tidal forces that are also decreasing the rotational velocity of Earth.

Archived