NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 pro Vs az eq5 gt

Hello,

Does anyone have experience of using both these mounts for imaging? If yes, can you advise on which you think does the best job of accurate tracking and is the az eq5 gt quiet in its native form, i.e. doesn't need a Rowan belt mod? I was going to buy the heq5 pro with belt already installed, but now I see this other mount with az capabilities as well. I wonder if there has to be compromises in its performance somewhere?

I would appreciate any thoughts. 

Thanks

Mark

Many people report that the belt mod on the HEQ5pro improves backlash and makes the mount quieter.

However, a normal HEQ5pro is still a great mount with accurate tracking as long as you don't overload it.  I can easily get 10 minute guided subs with an ED80 and ED66 mounted side by side as long as the balanced is reasonably good.  I'm sure it would cope with longer subs, it's just I've never tried.   Whilst it can be a little bit noisy when high speed slewing, it's not exactly deafening !  Tracking is very quiet.

If you are looking at using the mount mainly for imaging, the alt/az mode capability would seem rather redundant.

I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

Many people report that the belt mod on the HEQ5pro improves backlash and makes the mount quieter.

However, a normal HEQ5pro is still a great mount with accurate tracking as long as you don't overload it.  I can easily get 10 minute guided subs with an ED80 and ED66 mounted side by side as long as the balanced is reasonably good.  I'm sure it would cope with longer subs, it's just I've never tried.   Whilst it can be a little bit noisy when high speed slewing, it's not exactly deafening !  Tracking is very quiet.

If you are looking at using the mount mainly for imaging, the alt/az mode capability would seem rather redundant.

I hope this helps.

Thank you. I would like to do both equally. I know some people say they prefer alt az for visual observation, but I can't see why visual observing with a goto, tracking eq mount would be difficult? Regarding the slewing, I am just a bit nervous that I'll wake the neighbours if I'm changing target frequently. I've seen a YouTube video of slewing with and without belt, and the belt really was whisper quiet whereas the worm gears sounded quite loud. 

Thanks

Mark

1 hour ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Regarding the slewing, I am just a bit nervous that I'll wake the neighbours if I'm changing target frequently. 

I think if you are planning on setting up the mount in your neighbour's bedroom, or right outside their bedroom window, that might be an issue.  :icon_biggrin:.  The HEQ5pro is definitely not the quietest of mounts, but it's nothing like as noisy as a Meade.  Also, if your imaging DSOs, you'll likely be spending the vast majority of the time tracking, not slewing.

If you're really concerned about it, why not see if a local retailer or someone at your local astronomical society has one so that you can hear it for yourself.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

I think if you are planning on setting up the mount in your neighbour's bedroom, or right outside their bedroom window, that might be an issue.  :icon_biggrin:.  The HEQ5pro is definitely not the quietest of mounts, but it's nothing like as noisy as a Meade.  Also, if your imaging DSOs, you'll likely be spending the vast majority of the time tracking, not slewing.

If you're really concerned about it, why not see if a local retailer or someone at your local astronomical society has one so that you can hear it for yourself.

Thank you. I have my eye on a new heq5 pro with Rowan belt mod already built in for only £120 extra cost. Every time I look at astrosell, heq5 mounts are already sold or wanted! The resell value is always pretty high too, so buying new is less risky. My finger is hovering over the trigger! Bit like Davros, if you remember him!

I think it is the high cost that is causing the finger to shake. But, I have a secondhand ED80, a Nikon D7000, knowledge of Photoshop and camera adapters etc. The mount and a lithium polymer battery are the missing links, but a hefty outlay. 

Thanks for your comments

Mark

3 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Every time I look at astrosell, heq5 mounts are already sold or wanted! The resell value is always pretty high too, so buying new is less risky.

You should be able to pick up a decent secondhand example for around £450 to £500.  But, as you say, you have to be quick and be prepared to travel.  I was checking on SGL and UKAstrobuysell twice a day for about 6 weeks and had a 270 mile round trip to get mine.

2 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Thank you. Is this based on using both for visual and imaging?

Definitely, I am so happy to use both, yesterday I was imaging the moon, it was faster or easier for me to use az mode, I was suffering with polar alignment so I couldn't rely on eq slewing, I just used az and then tracking the moon, worked for me, but to be honest, I was also using EQMOD, after all I am happy to have dual modes anyway.

34 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Definitely, I am so happy to use both, yesterday I was imaging the moon, it was faster or easier for me to use az mode, I was suffering with polar alignment so I couldn't rely on eq slewing, I just used az and then tracking the moon, worked for me, but to be honest, I was also using EQMOD, after all I am happy to have dual modes anyway.

Thanks. I've heard of eqmod. How do you use it?

1 hour ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Thanks. I've heard of eqmod. How do you use it?

By using ascom and eqmod apps and a cable to connect the mount to PC, it needs some steps, you can find instructions in eqmod links if you search, I am not good in writing the steps, and I am connecting the mount eqmod to Stellarium to choose targets and control the mount.

Also, with the az eq5gt you only need a regular USB cable to connect it to a pc/laptop. You'll need a dedicated cable for the HEQ5 iirc.

I have the az eq5gt and it is an excellent mount. I've not had anything heavier on it than an ed80 for imaging, but it handles an 8" SCT for visual.

On 01/02/2018 at 14:10, CrashEd said:

Also, with the az eq5gt you only need a regular USB cable to connect it to a pc/laptop. You'll need a dedicated cable for the HEQ5 iirc.

I have the az eq5gt and it is an excellent mount. I've not had anything heavier on it than an ed80 for imaging, but it handles an 8" SCT for visual.

Thank you. 

I have no experience of the az eq5gt, but I have heard good reports about it.  I am using a "non belt modified" HEQ5 and I don't think it's particularly noisy even unmodded, you should have heard a previous mount I had the CG5 GT, it was nicknamed the Coffee Grinder and I really did worry about the neighbours with that one. 

If I had to replace my mount I would like to go for the belt driven one next time, only because I hear it is an improvement in both noise and tracking.  so if its quieter than my existing pretty quiet mount it must be very quiet. 

HTH

Carole 

22 hours ago, carastro said:

I have no experience of the az eq5gt, but I have heard good reports about it.  I am using a "non belt modified" HEQ5 and I don't think it's particularly noisy even unmodded, you should have heard a previous mount I had the CG5 GT, it was nicknamed the Coffee Grinder and I really did worry about the neighbours with that one. 

If I had to replace my mount I would like to go for the belt driven one next time, only because I hear it is an improvement in both noise and tracking.  so if its quieter than my existing pretty quiet mount it must be very quiet. 

HTH

Carole 

Hi Carole, thank you. It's useful to hear what you think about the relative noise. I am probably going to buy new, so if the option of the belt being already present is available, it makes sense to buy it. 

Thanks

Mark

On 2/3/2018 at 23:19, Analysis Paralysis said:

Hi Carole, thank you. It's useful to hear what you think about the relative noise. I am probably going to buy new, so if the option of the belt being already present is available, it makes sense to buy it. 

Thanks

Mark

Try to squeeze budget or stretch more so you can get at least EQ6-R or AZ-EQ6, mine has no loud noise, in fact i love its sound, feels smooth and healthy, hehehe but it is really top of quality of EQ6 mount out there next to EQ6-R or Orion equivalent.

Archived