Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with EQMOD and Stellarium

AidanTm

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right section, apologizes if not.

I have recently learned of Stellarium being able to control mounts and have tried to set it up with my HEQ5.  I have watched many videos and managed to get an connection via the handset connected to the computer.  However, when I try to slew to anything, it goes off into the middle of nowhere, sometimes pointing down.  I realise I am missing steps I'm just not sure which, Do I need to align in anyway before using Stellarium to slew?  Do I need to fill out all the information in the EQMOD relative to my area (lat/long/height ect)?  I realise I am asking for step by steps here but I cannot find/understand the information I am finding online....  Another issue I have is I cannot polar align as Polaris is behind trees and houses in my backyard sadly. 

Any help with this would be great, thank you

41 minutes ago, AidanTm said:

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right section, apologizes if not.

I have recently learned of Stellarium being able to control mounts and have tried to set it up with my HEQ5.  I have watched many videos and managed to get an connection via the handset connected to the computer.  However, when I try to slew to anything, it goes off into the middle of nowhere, sometimes pointing down.  I realise I am missing steps I'm just not sure which, Do I need to align in anyway before using Stellarium to slew?  Do I need to fill out all the information in the EQMOD relative to my area (lat/long/height ect)?  I realise I am asking for step by steps here but I cannot find/understand the information I am finding online....  Another issue I have is I cannot polar align as Polaris is behind trees and houses in my backyard sadly. 

Any help with this would be great, thank you

you must fill out all the location details in EQMOD. Is stellarium showing the mount pointing position correctly? 

6 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

you must fill out all the location details in EQMOD. Is stellarium showing the mount pointing position correctly? 

Okay, thank you, will try this.  Not sure what you mean by showing the mount pointing position?

By default EQMOD is expecting the scope to be pointing in the normal home position, ie, weights down, pointing North with the RA axis pointing at the NCP.  When you install EQMOD you need to set up the "driver" using the ToolBox utility to instruct EQMOD to use the correct comms port, and the location of the observing site and the altitude above sea level.  Once set you need to do the same in whatever planetarium application you use.  EQMOD doesn't have the ability to transfer this info to other applications, or other applications pull it from EQMOD.

So once you have entered all the location and time details (again make sure that both are using the same daylight saving options) into both applications then you should be able to unpark the scope select a target in the planetarium program and the mount should slew to target.