SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horsehead Complex HaRGB

Rodd

This image has been a treatise on Occam's Razor--talk about frustrating.  I have been working on this one for months.  I have lost more subs than I kept (and there are 90 subs in the image).  The weather has been terrible, the Moon was up--twice, and all my acquisition settings got jumbled up when I tested to make sure I could run the ASI1600 with Maxim (resulting in binning changes, temp changes, dither changes....etc that caused me to trash an entire nights data).  Most of the data is fair at best, though I was finally able to obtain a full RGB set.  Together with the Ha I already had, it makes for a passable composition, though I really want to collect 5-6 hours of lum.  This image used a synthetic lum composed of all RGB subs integrated into a single stack.  Some Ha was added to the Lum and to the red channel.  I can't figure out where the blue halo to the right is coming from.  My best guess is a reflection from Alnitak, or perhaps just the haze that plagued me throughout this image. For the most part, FWHM values are much higher than what I aim for.  I can't tell if the Ha is a benefit or not--so I included two images--one a SL(Ha)R(Ha)GB and the second a SLRGB.  Perhaps there is too much Ha.

TOA 130 with .7x reducer

STT 8300 with self guiding filter wheel and Astrodon Filters

Red: 33 10 min

Green: 25 10 min

Blue 16 10 min

Ha: 16 30 min

SL(Ha)R(Ha)GB

SL(Ha)RGB-1c2c.thumb.jpg.57afafa02a74b89e2c8d015db2642850.jpg

SLRGB

SLRGB-1c2.thumb.jpg.41e7859fa24828c47b5b4e8bb84635c3.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tomato said:

Great image, I got about 2.5 hrs worth of subs on this same field of view tonight, clearly not enough to do the Horsehead justice, based on your excellent result.

Thanks Tomato--keep at it...looking forward to seeing the results!

Rodd

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

After all the frustrarions Rodd the end results have made it all worth while. both images are top notch, but you could try a 50/50 blend.

Thanks Morimarty!  I tried a blend--but I guess I was in a purist mood.    

Rodd

1 hour ago, kev said:

Oh wow. I love those pics. Especially the second one.  Well done.  

Thanks Kev.  Yeah--I think I like the second one too.  Kind of surprising because the Mono Ha is so nice.

Rodd

I tweaked the SLRGB a bit--toned down the purple and balanced the histogram.  An improvement I think for the non Ha image.  I am in the process of collecting lum--but to tell the truth, the red channel is stronger than the lum, so I am not too hopefull that it will yield big improvements.  This image has no Ha.

SLRGB-Final-5c2a.thumb.jpg.206f3edfa8cdfb0c3ef65af521f27f15.jpg

Archived